Hatch Chiles, tell me about them.

Do you guys buy them by the 1 lb package already roasted and diced? If so, $125.00 for 8 lbs seems high to me?

I paid 15.88 for a case that weighed 28# yesterday

That's about what they run in the stores here.

Found this online source if anyone is interested. Says free shipping for fresh chiles. (the 5lb box) I am not familiar with this company, I buy mine locally.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

Oh lemme tell you about them Hatch...they look like an anaheim chili, but with much more magical tastyness, some can be mild and others like satan's breath. Get the hot ones!

Oh gawd no, I don't buy the pre-roasted and packaged stuff, it is far too pricey. Especially since I have a Weber and some lump, I see no reason not to buy the raw peppers, roast them myself and package them up. A vacuum packer makes for a better storage solution, but, I have used Ziploc bags for years.

It's super easy, get the kettle or other cooker up to temperature, lump really works best. Once it is going fully lit (think steak hot) then put the peppers on and roast until the skin chars. Then place in paper bags or plastic containers to let the peppers sweat. I prefer to package and freeze with the charred skins in place.

12 quarts Smoked then roasted Hatch GC in zip lock bags. These were mild, though some tender palates may classify as medium hot. Paid 15.88 for the 30# Young Guns Produce case ( which my scales measured at 28# including box).

Someone asked what can you do with them?? I don't like them in cold breakfast cereal.

Any other dish, 24/7 is fair game

Last edited:
I'm hoping some show up locally. I just can't justify the cost of ordering online.

I'm hoping some show up locally. I just can't justify the cost of ordering online.

Ron L- check cowgirls thread with "free shipping" in title. There is also a review of the company by a Bretheren in the thread.

You'll be glad you did!!

I roast up 10-20 lbs a year. I usually get them at the store but I'm headed to Las Cruces / Mesilla Valley in a week or two. Think I'll just pick some up fresh.

68485922.jpg

Heinan's usually has them. The Glenview location is sort of close to work. They're have chili roasting next weekend, not that I'd get them roasted. Waiting to hear when the Barrington location will have them. I'll probably get some from one of those two locations.

There are many varieties, all grown up and down the Rio Grande. What's more important is the variety, I've gotten good hot chile from many spots over the years. Some of the best I've ever had was from Belen. It depends more on the weather than the place. The bottom line is, I can't live without them. I went through seven bushels one year, last year only one. Get em hot, the hotter the better, you can always put in less. If they're not hot enough more doesn't help.

Where do you buy your chilies? I always get mine at Wagners when I'm in town.
Usually The Fruit Stand or Rosales Produce on 4th Street in Los Ranchos. The Fruit Stand has their roasters out already, Rosales hasn't opened yet, they are a seasonal deal.

I buy mine roasted, it comes out of the roaster into a yard size garbage bag. Let it cool in the bag, put on your gloves and spend a hour or so cleaning, bagging & sealing.

I love Hatch New Mexico Hot. Makes killer Chile Verde among other things.

I roast them myself (edit - these aren't Hatch chilies, but they roast the same).

PICT0940_zps95yqlfjj.jpg

They make the BEST chilies rellenos, however they are thin walled & have had better results "blanching" for want of a better term them in hot oil - approx 350*. The skin peels nicely & the walls of the chilies are not destroyed.

Ron L- check cowgirls thread with "free shipping" in title. There is also a review of the company by a Bretheren in the thread.

You'll be glad you did!!

I looked at it before posting here. Even with free shipping it's $6.50/lb for some chiles! They better be made of gold at that price (and I'[m not afraid to pay for quality products, but that's just nuts.) Last year when they showed up in local stores they were under $3/lb.

Back