Beans and chiles and stuff. Setup for a throwdown.

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Fresh Summertime Vegetables? I can do that.

This is the lineup of veggies.
The chiles on the left are Melrose peppers. Sent to me by one of our very own Brethren. Thanks, my friend.
The onion is from the store.
All others are from my very own backyard.
Tomatoes, jalapenos, red "Big Jim chiles", shallots, garlic, and thyme.

Started with a caveman style roast on the chiles, jalapenos, and the onion.
Little garlics are in the basement wrapped in foil.

Next, the shallots and tomatoes are on the grill along with the onion.
The little garlics have moved upstairs.

The awesome Melrose peppers are on for a brief char. They seem kinda thin skinned so just a short time on the grill will do. I don't want them too soft, yet.
Little garlics are still trying to decide if they are roasted enough to be used.

Cooking in the house are some Anasazi Beans, sent to me by a goon friend and fellow Brethren. Or maybe she would prefer Sistren...
The grilled onion is softening some more, and some smoked pork hocks are adding a ton of flavor along with the thyme.

Eventually the hocks are gone, the onion is chopped, and so are the Big Jims. All that went into the big Lodge grill pan and onto the Weber for some heat and hickory smoke.
The Melrose are stuffed with chopped jalapenos, shallots, diced sausage from last night supper, and some shredded cheddar.

In the bowl.
The beans are excellent, as promised.
The Melrose are super sweet, extra tender and thin skinned.
And I gotta say that I haven't eaten so many vegetables at once for a long while.
I'm just glad I added the sausage and cheese...

Anyway. Sorry for the long-winded post. But this was great to eat and great fun to cook.

Thanks for checking it out.

Back