Has else anyone noticed Kingsford charcoal smelling like ... manure ... lately?

cow

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AC
Hey all. I created an account here for the sole purpose of asking about this.
I've been buying regular Kingsford briquettes for years.. hundreds of bags. In the last 2-3 months or so, they've been putting off a really foul smell as the coals are heating up and burning off the dirty smoke.

It smells distinctly like manure or compost.

It's not like this has been just one "off" bag of charcoal, I'd say at least the last 4 out of 5 bags I've purchased have had this odor.
I've also noticed that when I'm cooking my potatoes in foil as I always do, the foil is turning a very dark amber/brown color if I don't let the smoke burn off completely first, which never used to happen.

Has anyone else taken notice of this recently? Or has something recently changed with Kingsford's 'formula' that I'm not aware of?

edit: pardon the title typo.. I don't know how I managed to scramble those words :crazy:

I’m a lump charcoal guy… but super interested to see what kind of responses this question gets.

And, welcome to the Brethren. Don’t be a stranger :)

I’m a lump charcoal guy… but super interested to see what kind of responses this question gets.

And, welcome to the Brethren. Don’t be a stranger :)

I'm interested too, it's super concerning. I use the "snake method" when I do any low and slow cooks in my weber, and I've been too concerned about this new odor to cook anything without first burning off the charcoal. I don't plan to buy any more Kingsford going forward

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome, AC! I hope you'll stick around here for a while - we are very open about sharing info and what we've learned with each other, from cookers, to fuel, to techniques, recipes, and beyond. More than a few competition winners and other fire chefs got their start here, and the experience and knowledge base only continues to grow.

As to your question, I have not noticed the odor you mentioned. I did pick up about 20 bags of Kingsford Blue recently, but still have some older stock from last year I haven't finished with. When the current bag runs out, I'll open one of the new ones to see if I notice a difference.

Do you live on or near a cattle/dairy farm?

Have you noticed which way the wind was blowing each time this particular smell was noticed?

Throw a pile of briqs on your front yard and see if mushrooms start growing on them.

Wait a minute...anybody with the screen name "cow" should already have the inside track on the source of this unpleasant nostril invading odor.

:mrgreen: Jking...I just finished 2 bags of Kingsford and didn't notice any foul/bovine odors. Hoping it's an isolated thing.

Maybe try buying from a different retailer incase they got a bad batch.

Welcome to the forum....stick around.

Last edited:
Some time ago, I recall seeing a few posts about charcoal being stored very near to manure and compost in a (Lowe’s?) big box store and them picking up some odors from that.
Is that a possibility?

Wait a minute...anybody with the screen name "cow" should already have the inside track on the source of this unpleasant nostril invading odor.

I can assure you my username is only coincidence :mrgreen:

I've actually had this issue at two retailers. I usually buy it at Home Depot in the bundled 20lb bags. I've had the odor with at least one of those bundles, maybe two. I haven't kept track.
My local grocery store has discontinued the 20-lb bags and replaced them with smaller (and overpriced) 12-lb bags. So far, 100% of the 12-lb bags have exhibited this odor. I think I've purchased 4 of those total. I originally figured it was a bad batch, but then it kept happening

Some time ago, I recall seeing a few posts about charcoal being stored very near to manure and compost in a (Lowe’s?) big box store and them picking up some odors from that.
Is that a possibility?
Doubtful, I'm fairly certain the charcoal would literally have to be sitting on top of a warm steamy pile of manure to take on such a strong odor.

Last edited:
Not with the regular blue bag but i bought some of the comp stuff from Costco on sale and it absolutely stunk lighting up. I don't recall exactly what it smelled like but it was bad and alot of thick smoke. Even on sale I'm not buying the comp label anymore.

Yup... go with lump.
All you have to deal with there is rocks and fiberglass insulation.

I don't know, I can see this being an advantage.

Next time someone says your food tastes like chit, I'd take it as a compliment.

Just opened a new double bag, and for the first time ever I got to see the sparking side show I've heard from you all. Didn't notice a smell, but I'll pay attention next time.
Ed

I had a bad bag of Kingsford earlier this year. The food tasted like it was cooked over burning trash and had to be thrown out. It took a second cook for me to realize it was the charcoal. I threw that bag out and opened another bag and everything was fine.

If Kingsford goes downhill it might be time to finally pull the trigger on a stick burner.

Back