Sam's Charcoal Sale -Acacia Wood Lump

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I've been through a couple bags of this. Smallest lump I've run across. Was disappointed when I poured as I was expecting tennis ball sized pieces. My bags were more like ping pong and golf ball sized. And that's the only thing I could knock. However:

It burned perfectly
It had a mild pleasant aroma
Was clean not dirty

Highlights from Sam's website
Premium acacia FSC charcoal
Fully sustainable 100% hardwood charcoal
100% chemical free
Burns hotter, cleaner, and more evenly so you don't need as much
Good for the community, feeding Americans with food insecurity

No weird stuff in the bags, just charcoal
Easily lit and burned a long time

Honestly the only "negative" was my expectations of bigger pieces. Some lump comes bagged like mini splits. If size matters you may be put off. But these coals, though smallish, have a lot of good things going too.

Your Call, With respect
16A

Last edited:
Appreciate the concise review, Adams. I've seen that before, I think I'll pick some up, esp if I can get it at that price!

Still $8.91 here locally according to their website. Store mark downs do not always show up on the website though.

Thanks for the review. I still have a large supply to work through, so taking a moratorium cue from you to not purchase until I work through this supply. Hard to resist.

Thanks,

Robert

Says not available at my club but I don't know if I trust that.

They do list Frontier lump 30# bag for $21.98.

Anybody ever try Frontier lump?

Our local Menards has the Frontier XL Lump on clearance. Was pleasantly surprised with the size of the pieces.

I stated previously that the 1 bag I had purchased had really small pieces in it. Think match-boxed sized chunks give or take. I did buy 2 more bags when I saw them on sale. The 1 additional bag I've opened since had medium & large chunks in them in a manner I'd consider satisfactory. Think baseball to softball sized chunks. I try to avoid buying the top bags or ones that they look like they've been handled too much in the store. Not sure if this was a manufacturer quality issue or a store product handling issue. Hope the third bag I'm sitting on is has decent sized chunks. Overall not bad quality if you get the good sized chunks distribution and not the crumbled chunks.

I picked up a couple of bags a couple of weeks ago and haven't opened them yet. I figured if it wasn't up to par for smoking, I could at least have some for grilling. May give it a go this weekend.

This thread convinced me to snag some more. Great price. I went back to snag 4 more bags buried at least 1 layer deep into the pallet in hopes they weren't smashed up. Can't beat #15 for $~6 especially if the chunks are the decent size. Really wish it was the Frontier Lump (RO alt label, see below) #30 on sale because I've never had an issue with that brand, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus I have 2 bags of that sitting around to use whenever anyhow.

2xF3yzB.png

Solid purchase. Medium to large sized chunks mostly. Quite a few required breaking down in order to be more usable. If you're not troubled by breaking up some pieces that are too big then it's a solid product. The too big of chunks is a preferable problem over too small of chunks/shards.

Last edited:
This thread convinced me to snag some more. Great price. I went back to snag 4 more bags buried at least 1 layer deep into the pallet in hopes they weren't smashed up. Can't beat #15 for $~6 especially if the chunks are the decent size. Really wish it was the Frontier Lump (RO alt label, see below) #30 on sale because I've never had an issue with that brand, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus I have 2 bags of that sitting around to use whenever anyhow.

2xF3yzB.png

Solid purchase. Medium to large sized chunks mostly. Quite a few required breaking down in order to be more usable. If you're not troubled by breaking up some pieces that are too big then it's a solid product. The too big of chunks is a preferable problem over too small of chunks/shards.

Thanks Taylor. I'm going to go check it out this morning.

With Sam's, you never know what's clearance until you physically walk in the store and look.

Recently, purchased 3 bags of the "Good Charcoal" at Sam's. As said above, everything about it is good, but it is tiny...mine has been like dumping out a bag of marbles...don't think that I have seen a chunk above 1". When I start it in a chimney, a small handful of hot tiny coals will fall out the bottom of the chimney.

If you're looking for Jealous Devil -Fogo-B&B- El Diablo etc etc sized lump, I've not seen that. But for grilling, base fire in offset, drum or even The Primo it's good at this cost. Personally I think I have a bag or two in her She Shed. Only if for another reason I'm at Sam's, not a direct shot in search of.

Thanks Taylor. I'm going to go check it out this morning.

With Sam's, you never know what's clearance until you physically walk in the store and look.

NP. The $21 dollar price is the base price IIRC. It's still a worth while product. Maybe 'feel up' a few bags to see if you think they have decent sized chunks in them if you're interested. Its in a plastic mesh like bag that will allow you to get a good idea of the contents without being able to see inside. I've had good luck with the product without having to investigate the bags much though.

I'd love for it to go on sale though :)

Last edited:
Had to make a Sam's run yesterday and decided to check out the price. Sure enough it was $5.91. Noticed on the bag it is made in Namibia NTTATWWT. Check of the website still listed at $8.91. Noticed they had a big stack of the Frontier 30# bags by the entrance door. Did not note the price as I'm still flush.

Stock up if you get a chance.

Wife had an MD Appointment so visited Sam's nearby to fill Jeep Tank. Bride decides she needs a couple things. Reckon I did too. Beef Tenderloin "tails", long tail ribeye and a twofer of baby's 5.5 pounds total for two racks. Like smalls. Then by accident walked down coal aisle And two bags of Namibia coals fell into basket

Last edited:
Had to make a Sam's run yesterday and decided to check out the price. Sure enough it was $5.91. Noticed on the bag it is made in Namibia NTTATWWT. Check of the website still listed at $8.91. Noticed they had a big stack of the Frontier 30# bags by the entrance door. Did not note the price as I'm still flush.

Stock up if you get a chance.

My wife is from South Africa. They have a strong grilling culture called a 'braai.' Here's a blurb on it. My father-in-law preferences lump charcoal from Namibia for his braaing. That's a good enough endorsement for me :)

Here's my collection. Think I'm flush for a bit unless any other deals on that Frontier lump comes along. Thanks for heads up guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 14-42-02 Imgur The magic of the Internet.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 14-42-02 Imgur The magic of the Internet.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 59
No deals today at my Sam's on charcoal. Frontier still $21.98. No "Good Company".

However, scored 3 chuck steaks for $3.74 a # which around here is a good deal. :clap2:

Back