Anyone happen to have any tips for getting brown charcoal smoke off of a pan?

cow

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AC
Surely I'm not the only one who has dealt with this before..

I cooked a prime rib on the grill today in a metal pan. The bottom of the pan, normally light gray, is caked in dark orangish-brown smoke from the briquettes. I've been scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing with Dawn and a scour pad .. and I've gotten a lot of it off, but still have a lot left to go. :doh: It's a good workout but I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Any tips for removing this?

Don't sweat the stains- turn it into a "smoking pan"- save it for next time... I have a couple of smoking pans and a whooole wardrobe of "smoking tees, shorts and jeans".

Smoking is a grimy business.

Every method above will remove the grime - just takes work but the oven cleaner should be easier if you can stand the fumes. Wrapping the bottom of the pan in foil next time will head off further issues.

I’m on a personal mission to dispel the baking soda/vinegar myth. Don’t mix them. Use one of the other for some cleaning. Mixing them neutralizes them and it’s just bubbly water at that point.

However if you have a bathtub submarine then mix them together to make it go.

I’m on a personal mission to dispel the baking soda/vinegar myth. Don’t mix them. Use one of the other for some cleaning. Mixing them neutralizes them and it’s just bubbly water at that point.

However if you have a bathtub submarine then mix them together to make it go.
Works great in toilets :thumb:

I always wrap my pans with foil on the outside when using in a smoker or grill. Saves a lot of work later. Will second the "magic eraser" noted above.

+1 for Barkeepers Friend. Moisten the pan and sprinkle the powder on. It makes a paste and you work it in with the soft side of a sponge. Magic and no scratches.

I get the best results from Totally Awesome spray cleaner from the Dollar store. I can scrub it with Dawn first, but when I spray that on, you can see the smoke stains just flow off.

Also, I agree with foil wrapping any good pan that's going into the smoker.

Can't help with the stains because I avoid the problem.
I can buy 1/2 size foil steam table pans at BJ's Warehouse for 40 cents apiece. I double them up if I will be moving the meat in the pan. The outer one can be reused and the inner one I sometimes clean and reuse. If the inner one is so greasy that I don't want to deal with it, I pile scraps and leftovers in it and put it out in the woods for the coons and possums.
Also if I'm cooking an extra piece of meat for someone I can just take the pan and they don't have to clean and return it.

Can't help with the stains because I avoid the problem.
I can buy 1/2 size foil steam table pans at BJ's Warehouse for 40 cents apiece. I double them up if I will be moving the meat in the pan. The outer one can be reused and the inner one I sometimes clean and reuse. If the inner one is so greasy that I don't want to deal with it, I pile scraps and leftovers in it and put it out in the woods for the coons and possums.
Also if I'm cooking an extra piece of meat for someone I can just take the pan and they don't have to clean and return it.

That's generally my routine. I even use them in my commercial kitchen when I don't feel like cleaning for something small. But there are also times when I want to use one of my Staubs in the smoker for presentation later. Or using a sheet pan for more surface area than a hotel pan. Or a perforated hotel pan for more smoke penetration.

So yeah, I can see why there is a need to clean pans, as great as disposables can be.

You can try a paste of just baking soda, let it sit overnight then scrub, should clean right up. Unless your A.D.D and need it done NOW!, :-D

A couple of dish washer pods and a sink of hot water works well. I had two enamel turkey baking pans that had burn drippings in and it cleaned them right up

Back