Grilled ribeye, galbi-tang soup, and breakfast pho

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi folks! I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would share three cooks I did recently. It all revolved around ribeye roast. Publix had their annual Easter bone-in ribeye roast sale. I always look forward to this sale because it allows me to stock up on bone-in ribeyes for cheap. I prefer bone-in over boneless because I like to use the bones for soups. This year was kind of interesting because Covid-19. It was a challenge to find and buy the roasts due to the shortage. But I did manage to pick up couple before the sale ended.

1. Grilled Ribeye

I like Publix roast because they already separate the ribeye from the bone for you. So it makes my life little easier. I like to cut the roast into ribeye steaks for grilling. For regular steaks, I like to cut into 1 1/4 inch thick. For Korean BBQ, I like to cut slightly thinner 1 inch thick steaks. I was going for Korean BBQ so I cut this roast into 1" steaks.

8Ze52RNh.jpg

Grilled the ribeye steaks on my Weber Performer

Z337X1Gh.jpg

I sautéed baby portobello mushrooms and onions with some soy sauce, oyster sauce, and little bit of sugar and topped the ribeye steak. This adds some salty, sour, sweet, and umani taste to the ribeye.

9J4npuIh.jpg

Ate it as lettuce wrap. Romaine lettuce topped with some white rice, ribeye steak, portobello mushroom and onions, and Korean ssam gochujang sauce.

n3roSQIh.jpg

DfWTLZ4h.jpg

2. Galbi-tang Soup

Then couple days later, I took the bones I saved from the ribeye roasts and made galbi-tang soup. Galbi-tang is Korean soup normally made with beef short ribs. I like to use the beef back ribs instead because it's cheaper and the bones are bigger. Galbi-tang is my favorite soup.

Beef back bones from the ribeye roast submerged and soaking in water to remove the blood

8TSdIqph.jpg

In the pot with chunks of Korean radish, yellow onions, green onions, cloves of garlic, and whole peppercorn. I like to add other large cheap meat like chuck roast to the soup. I didn't have chuck roast, but I had picanha in the freezer so I threw that into the pot.

vOW6sC4h.jpg

Let it cook on the stovetop for couple of hours and voila! My favorite soup in the world. Beef back rib galbi-tang topped with egg paper strips, glass noodles, and sliced scallions.

JLATJILh.jpg

Add bowl of rice and it's heaven. So filling and hearty meal.

7WIgJ12h.jpg

3. Breakfast Pho

I had some galbi-tang soup leftover. So next morning I used it to make breakfast pho. I added star anise, whole cloves, coriander seeds, fish sauce, etc to the existing beef soup and recooked it to make homemade pho. I didn't have any Thai basil or bean sprouts on hand to top the pho so I had to do without. Because of Covid-19, I'm not going to the grocery store as often so I don't always have all the needed ingredients. But the beef back rib pho was still excellent. It's one of my favorite breakfast, and favorite way to use leftover galbi-tang soup.

TQFqGEih.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I cannot tell you how delicious that looks. Keep posting, please!

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
It's great to see you back.

That steak, eaten as "beef on a leaf" really reminds me just how long it's been since I had Korean BBQ. Excellent stuff!

Killer soup options for dinner & breakfast. That'd sure start a day right by me!

Y'all stay safe back East. Hollar as you can. Keep these great ideas coming... I can't wait to steal a few more.

• Thanks
Everything looks great. I can tell that you put happiness and joy into your cooking!

• Thanks
Steak cooked to perfection That wrap looks excellent
I am really interested in the soup That looks and sound amazing

• Thanks
Back