Gateway Drum Question

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
I apologize in advance for not being able to find this info, but I have looked at their owner manual, and youtube videos and did a google search and can't really find an exact answer.

I have recently invested in a travel trailer that will finally open my world of Comp BBQ in having AC, bathroom and an actual bed.....lol Great news for sure!

Bad news is that hauling around my ginormous MMS-48 water smoker becomes a huge hassle. I'm looking to switch things up and I'm considering going the route of the Gateway Drum smokers.

This appeals to me because I'm thinking I could haul them on a cargo rack on the back of my travel trailer but I need to know what the dimensions of the actual drum is? The shipping dimensions of the pallet they come on are advertised but I cannot find any actual dimensions of the width and depth of the drum? The height will not be a problem. So any help anyone who has the 55gal versions would be greatly appreciated.

And I'm sure someone will ask, "why dont you just haul them in the bed of your pickup that you use to pull the trailer?" and that is an option but not the preferred option for me for various reasons....if these things won't fit in and on a cargo rack then I may have to move to plan B.....but I would prefer to know they could fit on a cargo rack.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond.

I don't have those exact dimensions, but @manmeatbbq carries 3 of his drums on a rack on the back of his trailer. He can probably help you with what you would need to transport them.

Eh, I guess tagging doesn't work here, lol. I'm not sure if he still posts here anyways. Hopefully he sees this though.

thanks! I looked up generic dimensions of a standard 55 gallon drum and it looks like a diameter of about 23.5 inches, which would work, assuming Gateway's is similar. I'm sure the intake pipes would add some girth to deal with compared to a generic barrel.

So the handles and the intake pipes extend the same amount from the can, when looking straight on: https://imgur.com/JRwJwxw

And it looks like the width of the drum is right around 27" with the handles: https://imgur.com/Bu1ziGW

I've helped a buddy of mine load up 3 drums on a tailgate rack, like you're looking at using. It's certainly do-able, but there is an "order of operations" to it and a certain way they all fit in. It's been awhile since I've helped load, and I can't remember details or else I'd share!

Best of luck :)

So the handles and the intake pipes extend the same amount from the can, when looking straight on: https://imgur.com/JRwJwxw

And it looks like the width of the drum is right around 27" with the handles: https://imgur.com/Bu1ziGW

I've helped a buddy of mine load up 3 drums on a tailgate rack, like you're looking at using. It's certainly do-able, but there is an "order of operations" to it and a certain way they all fit in. It's been awhile since I've helped load, and I can't remember details or else I'd share!

Best of luck :)

thank you so much for the info and taking the time to do that! I really appreciate it.

thanks! I looked up generic dimensions of a standard 55 gallon drum and it looks like a diameter of about 23.5 inches, which would work, assuming Gateway's is similar. I'm sure the intake pipes would add some girth to deal with compared to a generic barrel.

That must be correct because I think they use the standard 22" webber grates

They are standard 55 gallon barrels. Lots of people use hitch mounted cargo racks of varying dimensions to haul them so you won’t have a problem there.

LOL!!!!!!! Exactly. I have to leave the bed empty to haul my trophies and checks!!!!!!!!!

I really appreciate all the input and help from everyone.....now I just have to convince my wife why it is so important now to buy a couple of barrel smokers so I can then spend more money doing BBQ comps when things hopefully go back to normal in 2021. LOL

Well boys thanks for the input and advice!

I pulled the trigger this morning on a 55g charcoal colored sizzle model!!!

Went ahead and got the rib rack with extra hooks, second cooking rack, cleaner tool and diffuser plate.

I’m pumped for sure. My main question now is do I just sit and wait for comp checks to be automatically mailed to me or do I have to actually go through the motions of cooking a comp before they just mail me the checks??????? Lol.

Back