BlueSmoke Smokers Owners: Firebox Size and Wood Split Lengths...?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey, @thehojo and @kevinJames and any other BSSer owners....

ON the BlueSmoke Smoker....with regard to the firebox....do you know the dimensions of it?

What length splits are ya'll using?

My wood guy (I finally found) can get them to me in 18" lengths...is that about what you use and find to work?

I can't find the exact measurements of the firebox....but it looks big enough to handle 18 inches......

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

Hey, @thehojo and @kevinJames and any other BSSer owners....

ON the BlueSmoke Smoker....with regard to the firebox....do you know the dimensions of it?

What length splits are ya'll using?

My wood guy (I finally found) can get them to me in 18" lengths...is that about what you use and find to work?

I can't find the exact measurements of the firebox....but it looks big enough to handle 18 inches......

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

24 x 24 is the firebox - I have been running 16-18 inch splits - had a buddy build me this fire management ‘basket’ that sits on the bottom of the firebox - keeps the coal bed together and makes it easy to move the fire back to the front or the back of the firebox - depending on if I want a hotter or cooler fire - also helps prevent the embers from falling out of the firebox

My wood guy cuts to approximately 16", but some splits are a little longer. Once I have a good coal bed going, I like to place my splits sideways in the firebox. That length works out perfectly because it is short enough to fit without problem, and the natural curve in the bottom of the firebox results in the two ends of the splits making direct contact with the coals, while there is a gap between the middle of the splits and the coal bed, encouraging good airflow. If a split is a little longer then I just put it at a slight angle and it works just fine.

Thank you!

Thank you all!!

That helps a lot!! Alright....well my wood guy I called yesterday, is busy....supplying restaurants all around my area, but said he'd take care of me. He's busy this and next week then taking a week of vacation, but I hope to be getting supplied after that.

I hope my smoker is finished this week maybe and then shipping soon after....

If it comes before I get the firewood, I'll get a friend with a car larger than mine (2-seater) and pick up a couple bags of wood at Academy Sports and work with that till the real stuff comes in.

I decided to just get local oak and work with that....I'd always done hickory in the past with my old, old bandera smoker....

I do wish I could get some mesquite delivered too....but I can get that at Academy....I really like mesquite on brisket.

Anyway, thank you.

cayenne

For my OKJ I ended up just buying a bunch of bags of B&B logs for now, until I can source something local. Mesquite is king here, but I am hoping to find come Pecan down here too. Even Oak, but I am not sure it grows out here.

Mind you, I dont WTF I am doing...lol.

24 x 24 is the firebox - I have been running 16-18 inch splits - had a buddy build me this fire management ‘basket’ that sits on the bottom of the firebox - keeps the coal bed together and makes it easy to move the fire back to the front or the back of the firebox - depending on if I want a hotter or cooler fire - also helps prevent the embers from falling out of the firebox

Very clever! I love simple solutions like that. Are you able to move it on the fly during a cook?

Cool!!

Yes - can move the fire back and forth during the cook - very easy to do

That's really cool looking!!

I'm hoping mine gets delivered sometime here before EOM.

He said that there's another one coming on same truck, basically just maybe a mile from my house....go figure!!

I think I mentioned before I FINALLY located some wood....guy delivers to the BBQ restaurants here and usually doesn't do individuals, but is working me in...hope to have that by EOM too.

I'm getting excited!!

cayenne

Phil was helpful finding me the best shipping price he could. Was really patient with the logistics and making it work. Sure he’ll be the same with yours.
Hojo- love your smoker. Has a lot of character

Back