Future of BBQ and the younger generations.

I'm only 23 and my smoker gets a workout almost every weekend. I do believe that there are far fewer people in my generation willing to put in the time and effort to make the Q, but I know most of them will eat it. I believe most of my generation can be classified as lazy, and it honestly makes me mad. I'm a rare one that has had a job since 14 even through college to pay the bills. Now that my hard work has paid off and I am in a management position, it disgusts me to see the work ethic of people my age. I am honestly scared for the future. OK, Rant over. Sorry but this stuff bugs me.

I've got 3 sons that all are 30, 26, & 22 They all work in restaurants and love to cook and eat my Q. The oldest is a body builder and can't get enough protein. But They also eat lots of fresh fish and vegetables. But, come Sunday, if they're not at work, they are sniffing around at my house for left over cooks I've made during the week, and can't get enough ribs, nac-n-cheese and corn on the cob!

Right along there with you marwendholt,
I think where our generation was raised plays a big part. I am 26 and raised in a rural area in Southwest Kansas. I, along with many other of my classmates, have worked since the age of 14 or younger if you knew the right people. Most of us are much like each other and have worked hard for our things and will continue to do so. On the other hand, I have lived in the KC area for the last 8 years. And notice a big difference in maturity of "kids" our age. More of them around here are..for lack of a better word..Slackers. I have 3 kids of my own and intend on them learning the trade of prepairing their own foods, including grilling/smoking.

THERE IS SOME HOPE FOR FUTURE AMERICA! Hah..easier said then done..they are only 3yrs old and younger.

My 11yo son loves hanging around the grill and bs'ing more than his dad does.

I think this is one of those things that comes with age. When I was a kid my dad could not get me in the garden. Now, I have a large garden (for a suburb) and really love it.

I'm almost 30 now, and all my friends will eat smoked meat. But none of them actually smoke it themselves.

Any of the BBQ places around here have a varied demographic. Probably more over 30 than under 30, but it's hard to say.

One thing we need to keep in mind, meat is expensive and many under 30 can't afford to buy a bunch of meat and a grill or a smoker, etc. It was a big thing for me to make rent each month.

One thing we need to keep in mind, meat is expensive and many under 30 can't afford to buy a bunch of meat and a grill or a smoker, etc. It was a big thing for me to make rent each month.

Neither is seafood. But I can tell you in our area the under 30's tear this stuff up. They also are REAL REAL big on the "organic" items.

I'm 26 and all about some bbq been doing it since i was 9! :shock: with help from my dad of course... My generation is a bit pickier about there eats.. they eat all healty... If i am cooking for folks i know that like to eat healthier.. i just try to cater to them.. with pork Loins, chicken breast, turkey breast, vegetables etc..

I think one thing that some are missing is the financial aspect of BBQ. Yes you can start cheap, but there is still the accessories, ingredients and meat. How many single people want to invest $40 in a piece of meat, that will take 8-12 hours to cook. Then you have leftovers to store. I didn't even get into the space requirements. Where do you store all the stuff when you are not using it? I think as they get older and need time alone or something to do around the house while the kids take a nap, you will see an influx of younger people thanking up the hobby.

true. Then, IDK.

I believe it's what DownHomeQue said. His generation is pickier about their meats and simply eat healthier. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. Odds are as they get older they'll change their eating habits and eat more traditional smoked meats such as brisket, ribs and pork butt. But IF (and that is an unlikely IF) they keep these same eating habits their generation is large enough to impact the BBQ market.

I am 32 and a gym rat (not a roid-rage looking freak, but I try to keep a relatively muscular, athletic level).

I work out every day so I can keep up the bbq obsession without it killing me in 10yrs.

Honestly, there are much worse things to eat than bbq. Most of it is pretty lean when we eat it, and aside from sugary sauces and rubs, you can do a WHOLE lot worse. It's not like eating tons of pasta with empty carbs or bread, etc.

Maybe fish and veggies need to be standard fare at comps. Show off what we can do besides beef and pork. then slip 'em a taste of meat and get them HOOKED! HAHAHA!!!

I am 32 and a gym rat (not a roid-rage looking freak, but I try to keep a relatively muscular, athletic level).

I work out every day so I can keep up the bbq obsession without it killing me in 10yrs.

Honestly, there are much worse things to eat than bbq. Most of it is pretty lean when we eat it, and aside from sugary sauces and rubs, you can do a WHOLE lot worse. It's not like eating tons of pasta with empty carbs or bread, etc.

You're right but so many of these young healthy types have bought into that all beef and pork are "bad". I remember doing a trade show in Houston, TX and had a young girl (I'd say she was 22-23) try to argue me down that beef and pork were "unhealthy" and caused high blood pressure and cancers.

I looked at her like "My goodness who has brainwashed you?!". But she swore up and down that lean meats such as chicken, turkey and fish/seafood were the only healthy meats. :blah:

In my family and circle of friends everyone loves bbq and its an event when we get together. Some wont pig out like me but will eat a decent size servings. My son is 6 and is involved with bbq with me. I got a smokey joe and told him that was for him to cook on.

I love smoked foods and so do my kids, wife is iffy. That being said, you should follow the market and incorporate more turkey and chicken without abandoning the traditional (higher fat) meats.

I never ate real BBQ until I was in my 30s and had slowed down enough in life to be able to take the time to cook and enjoy food.

Same here. I'm 36 and 10 years ago i never would have thought i'd be spending 5-6 hours smoking ribs or 8hrs or more smoking up Pork shoulders. Now, i'm boarderline addicted to Q'ing. :biggrin1:

I'm only 23 and my smoker gets a workout almost every weekend. I do believe that there are far fewer people in my generation willing to put in the time and effort to make the Q, but I know most of them will eat it. I believe most of my generation can be classified as lazy, and it honestly makes me mad. I'm a rare one that has had a job since 14 even through college to pay the bills. Now that my hard work has paid off and I am in a management position, it disgusts me to see the work ethic of people my age. I am honestly scared for the future. OK, Rant over. Sorry but this stuff bugs me.

I couldnt agree with this more. Being only 26 i know exacatly what you mean i had to get a workers permit when i was 13 to work a full time job. Before that starting when i was 7 i worked for my neigbor every saturday around his house and was also raised on a farm where there was always work to be done. Most people my age dont know what work is they are just flat out lazy. Now back to bbq i love everything about it cooking, eating, and the history of it. Nuff said

Hmmm, lazy 20-somethings, I keep meeting the opposite, guys in their 20's and 30's who are out there shaping the world to come, many of them are creating amazing businesses. I can remember 30 years ago, the 'old men' telling me how lazy my generation was, and how we all ate rabbit food. Seems like most of my friends have done okay. And we all eat BBQ, admittedly, a lot of them, now at the ripe old age of 50+, are just learning to BBQ and grill decently.

Many of the young men and women I meet of late are blowing me away with their intelligence, consideration and knowledge. Many of them eat red meats, pork belly is still the rage in San Francisco (try and find a decent baked potato or pancake though, evil, evil, white starches and gluten :crazy:). I think the real issue is that when you have a half dozen things you want to do in a day, you have no desire to tend a pit. They will come around.

Back