Tasteless berries?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I don't have enough fruit in my diet. So I decided that I want to do some blueberry pancakes on my griddle (required BBQ content).

Picked up a basket of blueberries from the grocery store. They are totally tasteless. The right color and texture but no flavor what so ever. Even my parrots won't eat them.

Now admittedly I haven't had blueberries in a long time but I do remember what they taste like. Are my taste buds failing with old age, or are fruits being produced GMO nowadays?

A lot of the newer varieties are bred for size and shipping ability, taste is low on the priority list.

You might consider the wild blueberries from Maine, they'll most likely be frozen, and cheaper to boot, if you can utilize them that way.

Package doesn't say much other than "product of Chile". There's a review also complaining of them being tasteless. Frozen from Maine is available, thanks.

In the US blueberries are in season anywhere from June to October. This being February you really shouldn't even be able to get blueberries. This is why so much fruit in the US has no flavor at all...it has been selectively bred out with longevity / resilience of the fruit being favored.

My son's diet is heavy on fruits and berries. There is a ton of difference of taste even when buying the same brand. They are best when in season wherever it was they were grown.

I don't have enough fruit in my diet. So I decided that I want to do some blueberry pancakes on my griddle (required BBQ content).

Picked up a basket of blueberries from the grocery store. They are totally tasteless. The right color and texture but no flavor what so ever. Even my parrots won't eat them.

Now admittedly I haven't had blueberries in a long time but I do remember what they taste like. Are my taste buds failing with old age, or are fruits being produced GMO nowadays?

Apples have gone the same way ....

This thread reminded me of the Flip Wilson story of the marvelous Roman berry. :mrgreen:

"In season wherever it was they were grown" I think is the key here. Fresh from Maine April-September. Frozen otherwise. My berries came from Chile so even though they're in season there I will avoid South American fruit from now on.

I get apples in the fall from local orchards. Tomatoes are easy to grow myself.

The crap you get in the store is totally taste- and worth-less. The ones that grow on the bush in my back yard however are outstanding. I rarely buy store bought anymore, and just wait for them to be in season in my yard.

lots of fruits and vegetables are picked very early so the can last through long shipping and handling times without spoiling. Many of them will develop a "ripe" appearance after picking, but they don't continue to develop the sugars and elements that create "ripe taste".

For example: Tomatoes can be labeled "vine ripened" if "the skin surface or the flesh of each tomato has attained some discernible degree of pink or red color at the time of harvest."

lots of fruits and vegetables are picked very early so the can last through long shipping and handling times without spoiling. Many of them will develop a "ripe" appearance after picking, but they don't continue to develop the sugars and elements that create "ripe taste".

For example: Tomatoes can be labeled "vine ripened" if "the skin surface or the flesh of each tomato has attained some discernible degree of pink or red color at the time of harvest."

This ^^^^^^^
Most people under 30 have no idea what a tomato tastes like. They are now grown for size so fast, that the sugars never develop. Add to that that they are picked when green and ripened with Ethylene gas.

You need my easy, at home solution: Plant blueberry bushes. Never had an issue with flavor from the ones I get even after they are frozen for over a year.
AP1GczNfA3LBysJ62-Da5YqBF1c0zrH8Lb3QTsyH5eHicXJWA5D6LRwIPjikwn1oyFtooLxPxRhuravO_9pOTVz2FO8X8vZ7Qt-peiZ_3BKv76h9-xPNFBk=w600

This was a single day's harvest last year with 3 more similarly sized harvests later that month.

This post reminds me that I need to make some smoothies for dinner tonight.

You need my easy, at home solution: Plant blueberry bushes. Never had an issue with flavor from the ones I get even after they are frozen for over a year.

No blueberries, but I have wild raspberry bushes in my yard. Also tasteless, for whatever reason.

Back