Future of BBQ and the younger generations.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
We do a lot of trade shows and demoing throughout the year. What I've noticed in doing these shows and demos over the last two years has me thinking about the future of BBQ.

I've noticed that A LOT of young people under 30 don't eat or "like" bbq as much as those 30 and older. I can't tell you how many times at shows or demo's we'll ask if they'd like to sample and the response is "We don't eat that kind of stuff." and walk directly over to the seafood market and pick up fish, or to the meat isles and pickup turkey meat. It seems the age group under 30 are FAAAAAAR more serious about "eating healthy" than the rest of us. I'm not saying that is a bad thing because it is not. I'm just saying it is very noticeable in the venues we've been and it begs the question "If this is the case then what is the future of BBQ?".

Has anyone else noticed this in their area or could simply just be a regional thing. But I do live in the south where people are the most obese and who LOVE to eat. I even asked the Kroger manager this past weekend and he said there's no doubt that he can tell you the age group of who buys what in his stores and he said all the younger (under 30) LIVE in the produce and seafood sections of his store.

Thoughts?

I am a Police Officer and work night shift with all the hard charging, gym rat, mid 20's to early 30's guys. They LOVE my BBQ. I've cooked for numerous shift parties and my que is always a hit. I'm actually cooking this weekend for a co-worker's 30th birthday party...two packer briskets and two pork butts (for 40 people) at my buddies' request. Point being, good que is always welcome once people taste the real stuff.

Interesting. well...tell them to go get their fish and turkey throw it on the cooker too. Just because we cook with fire doesn't mean we can't eat healthy.

I am trying to teach my teenager and my godsons Basic Man Skills: Grilling, Smoking and, Eating, but they only seem to want to do the last one.

I see a lot of Carl's Jr. in their futures if they don't start listening.

The DIY generation is a dying breed. Build and fix rather than buy and replace. Pride.
sigh....

I do believe that the general population tries to eat healthy. I do think that the younger (I'm only 36, but it is above the age range you gave) still love bbq in this area. I think this is evident by the growing number of BBQ Restaurants in this area. However, I think most people eat it on occasion as opposed to several times a month. The whole everything in moderation etc.

BBQ is as American as apple pie. I think it is a comfort food that everybody will crave throughout their life, as well as having good ole fashioned bbq cookouts during the warmer months brings back great memories and good times. I do think though that the amount of people that partake in the hobby/passion/obsession that is cooking BBQ will decrease. I also think that BBQ is still going to be a mainstay in American Cuisine.

I noticed my younger family members and friends who are health conscience are totally into grilled items. This is one reason I often like doing yakitori style cooking, for instance. Portions are much smaller and lots of vegis are included.
Even when I smoke spares or BB's for instance I usually limit myself to just 2 ribs.

I never ate smoked foods as a youth really. I pretty much started when I found this place. Of course I was eating from the gasser but I didn't grow up around a smoker. I wouldn't worry about them yet. I think it's something you get into more when your a bit older.

Yeah, a lot of the health nuts love grilled foods. We've got several health nuts in our family. They won't eat red meat or pork though. They limit their meats to seafood, chicken and turkey.

I do believe that the general population tries to eat healthy. I do think that the younger (I'm only 36, but it is above the age range you gave) still love bbq in this area. I think this is evident by the growing number of BBQ Restaurants in this area. However, I think most people eat it on occasion as opposed to several times a month. The whole everything in moderation etc.

BBQ is as American as apple pie. I think it is a comfort food that everybody will crave throughout their life, as well as having good ole fashioned bbq cookouts during the warmer months brings back great memories and good times. I do think though that the amount of people that partake in the hobby/passion/obsession that is cooking BBQ will decrease. I also think that BBQ is still going to be a mainstay in American Cuisine.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting BBQ will ever die but maybe not be as part of one's diet as before. Which does have a trickle down effect into the market.

I do know that more and more people aren't learning how to even grill much less BBQ (smoke) meats. I did a big favor for a guy this past weekend and smoked several slabs of ribs for him and his relatives coming in for the holiday. He said that he could do the standard hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill but that's about it. His relatives requested ribs and he panicked. He didn't want to go pay the huge mark up on catered ribs so I told him if he'd just pay for the meat I was going to have my smoker running basically all weekend and I'd do them. The relief on his face was priceless. :grin:

I dont know, I think plenty of the under 30 crowd likes BBQ. Not to long ago I sold my Klose to a guy who was around 20-25 years old and he came with a bunch of his buddies they all seemed pretty much into the BBQ thing.

Man has put meat on fire for thousands of years. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Seriously, most things go around in circles. The art of cooking in general will make a comeback once people figure out that they don't have to move so fast.

Last edited:
I think BBQ takes too long for them to cook, and the majority of "young moderns" have neither the patience nor the attention span to make it themselves.

Someone needs to develop a BBQ themed video game - that'll catch their interest.

Could it be that you are only looking at young people? Probably in shorts and halter tops?

Just kidding. I never ate real BBQ until I was in my 30s and had slowed down enough in life to be able to take the time to cook and enjoy food.

I'm almost 30 now, and all my friends will eat smoked meat. But none of them actually smoke it themselves.

Any of the BBQ places around here have a varied demographic. Probably more over 30 than under 30, but it's hard to say.

Man has put meat on fire for thousands of years. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Seriously, must things go around in circles. The art of cooking in general will make a comeback once people figure out that they don't have to move so fast.

Agreed. Everything goes in cycles.

Back