Future of BBQ and the younger generations.

I'll add that when I was in my twenties, I was not spending a lot of time cooking BBQ- grilling on weekends with friends and such, but food was sustenance and not really a hobby/passion/lifestyle per se...

I learned to really enjoy preparing my meals a bit later. :mrgreen:

Hmmm, lazy 20-somethings, I keep meeting the opposite, guys in their 20's and 30's who are out there shaping the world to come, many of them are creating amazing businesses. I can remember 30 years ago, the 'old men' telling me how lazy my generation was, and how we all ate rabbit food.

I'm with you on this. I have a 21-yo brother and law, and supervised a team of young 20-somethings for about 6-years. I was constantly impressed by their work ethic, creativity and problem solving skills.

The other thing which I was constantly impressed by was their consumer awareness. Most of them were very concious about what they ate, not necessarily the inherent healthyness of the food, ie. "red meat is bad", but more along the lines of how was the food produced. They'd pay more for something they found locall, produced artisanilly etc. and avoid factory farmed, fast food etc.

There's a resurgence in this area of craft food and drink making as well as local farming and its being lead by the increasing demand. I have found that the next generation is much more aware of what they purchase and what they eat, and if they can't find something that meets their needs they are more than happy to learn how to make it themselves, BBQ included.

Just my two cents here.......

While health consciousnesses may play a role in food selection and the way food is cooked, this is only part of the problem.

I think the other part of the problem is that many young people haven't had exposure to real BBQ. Many have been served commercially prepared food soaked in something they refer to as BBQ Sauce. Because of this many think BBQ is more about the sauce rather than the craft and technique of cooking quality food.

Lets face it we all must have met at least one person who thinks the McRib is considered BBQ.... LOL.

Basically, we are the teachers for future generation of the craft or it will soon be forgotten.

When you're 20 food is just fuel for a sex machine.
When you're 30 you start to think of it differently.

I've noticed a few things as I've ventured further into BBQ and one of those are all these people coming at me tell me that all that Meat is bad for you. That Red meat is of the devil. That mentality is being pushed throughout the world.

We as a people have lived on red meat for the ages and then some. It is only meats that are injected with hormones and all that other crap that we start seeing an increase in the negative side effects. It is also called eating in moderation.

Sorry sore subject for me!

Don't worry about that whole red meat thing, it is changing here, no doubt it will hit Texas and points south soon. Many of my formerly Vegan/Vegetarian friends are returning to meat, including beef and even pork (belly). And they are stating that they realize that there is solid science behind needing meat to ensure a proper nutrient balance. But, they are all about volume and quality now.

The new evil food is gluten, evil, evil, gluten.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Back