Full Spares - A Rarity No Longer

I do St Louis now since the few times that I have done full spares the tips get dried out, how did you keep the whole spare so juicy?

More than likely I'll have to give credit to the pig. However, I don't mind sharing what I did on this rack.

Pretty standard stuff - minimum trim (remove flap and square rack), rub applied to both sides, 275* nekid on the offset for 3 hours, made a foil boat with some OJ & melted butter (1/4+ cup) and covered the boat with foil for 30-45 minutes, uncovered and glazed while still in boat for another 15-30 minutes. Finally, re-covered and rested (still in boat) for about 3 hours in a warm oven. I have become dependent on the long rest/hold and I think a lot of recent success is because of that. Hope this works for you as well. :thumb:

I like mine as you described, minimally trimmed, but with flap & membrane removed, and seasoned to enhance flavor, not be the star of the show.

FWIW.... I leave the membrane on. Nature's Saran wrap. The higher temp renders it out pretty well.

One of the very few times my laziness paid off is when I didn't feel like trimming my whole spares and just decided to cook them whole.

NEVER.TRIMMED.A-GAIN!!!!

Just bought 2 full racks at Aldi...$2.19 a pound with $2 off stickers. Small racks so I got mine for $7 a piece.

Part of this weekends variety special in the smoker. :eyebrows:

I can get them and the price is better than trimmed. I have a knife if needed

Back