Weird St. Louis ribs at BJs wholesale

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
I don't have pics. But I was just in BJs Wholesale club looking for some St. Louis ribs. It'd been a while since I try to stock up at Costco (much longer drive).

Anyhow as I looked at them I remembered that last time I bought them and cooked them they were just not cut right. They weren't nearly as rectangular as I'm used to, the bones started getting really short toward the middle to end. I also realized that flap of meat on the bottom that I usually trim is non-existent.

So I'm looking at these racks and they are the same. Almost seemed like they labeled the part you cut off of full spares to make St. Louis as St. Louis.

Anyhow I bought baby backs, which are not my preference. But wondering if anyone has run into this?

If you are saying the rib tip cartilage was still on the ribs I've seen that too many times before. Where I normally find it is when the ribs are still frozen and you can't feel the tips move on the ribs. The packers either don't train people or hire idiots and give them band saws to trim the spares. That's why I won't buy pre-trimmed SL ribs. If the trimmers only had knives to work with this wouldn't happen.

I've seen it at Kroger and WalMart before. No Sam's or Costco membership here at present.

Back