Full Spares - A Rarity No Longer

txsmkmstr

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
I'm not sure where my aversion to full size spares started. I've always trimmed to St. Louis style and cooked the trimmings separately. Today, I had a really big rack of ribs. Likely through sheer laziness I decided to do a minor trim and cook the entire thing as a whole.

OMG.... I couldn't believe what I've been missing. Flavor and texture were spot on and the "trimmings" portion (usually tough/dry) was amazing. Thinking I may doing this a lot more often. Gratuitous pic for your enjoyment. Thanks for looking. :thumb:

IMG-20220731-182659320-HDR-2.jpg

I don't do full spares often, but when I do, I'm so glad I did them. And if you're cooking for a crowd, the massive slab o ribs sure does impress.

I don't do full spares often, but when I do, I'm so glad I did them. And if you're cooking for a crowd, the massive slab o ribs sure does impress.

Almost a two for one deal....

Even if I wanted to serve St. Louis style I may have to consider cooking whole and cut after cooking. So much easier to work the entire slab. :idea:

I prefer full spares, but they are hard to find around here. Its mostly baby backs and pretrimmed St. Louis in the stores here.

They look delicious.
I never trim spares. The rib tips and that flap on the back cook along with the main attraction. I also do not peel the membrane. I do the final part of the cook over high heat because my wife likes to peel that crispy membrane off for herself.

They look delicious.
I never trim spares. The rib tips and that flap on the back cook along with the main attraction. I also do not peel the membrane. I do the final part of the cook over high heat because my wife likes to peel that crispy membrane off for herself.

I got rid of the flap (as always) and simply squared up the small end. Membrane stays (nature's saran wrap) and smoked at 275*, which seems to render it out to the point it's not a bother.

I'm still bustin' over these and looking forward to the leftovers. :clap2:

Those look to be cooked to perfection. I rarely buy full spares but when I do, I trim them down to St Louis style as most of the family won't eat the end portions and it goes in the trash. I'll eat the trimmed portions because I hate to waste the meat, but my wife really likes them versus the rib but won't eat but about a third of the end piece. So it is cheaper for me to buy the already trimmed ribs.

Thanks,

Robert

Those look great, I prefer full spare ribs hands down but they are absolutely harder for me to find. Creekstone used to be my favorite place to get them but they quit selling them online which makes me think there were not a good seller for them.

Thanks for the gratuitous pic! Beautiful! I don't often find full spares, but if i ask the meat guy I'm sure he's got them in cryovac. Which is what I'll be doing going forward. Thanks

Just smoked a full spare for the first time Saturday. Never buying St Luis spares again. A local grocery store has had them for $2.18 a lb. I’ve got 3 more racks in the freezer. They came out really tasty and juicy.

Some will think I gross for this but I really like eating the cartilage nubs that become nice and soft after a good cook. Can't get that with St louis or babys. Great lookin' cook BTW!

About 20 years ago when I bought my first WSM and began smoking ribs, full spares was all I ever did. Had no idea what St Louis cut was.

And this was before comp barbecue really took off and I wonder if St Louis became popular because of comp barbecue on TV ?

The ribs have great color, btw ..... they really look good.

I do St Louis now since the few times that I have done full spares the tips get dried out, how did you keep the whole spare so juicy?

Back