Spare Ribs...Full or ST Louis. What to do!!!

Cheech and Chong

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I managed to get 9 racks of imported IBP full spare ribs. 44Lbs @ $5LB. Not cheap but if I smoke them right it will be worth it. I have never smoked spare ribs before.

I am going to cook 3 racks this weekend. Should I cook them as full spares and then trim them or should I trim them in to St Louis ribs first?

Either way, what can I do with the smoked portion I trimmed off? I will have plenty of ribs to eat so I am looking for ideas on what to use the trimmed portions.

Thanks

Oooohh. Smokey sticky rib tips.

I'll leave you to figure the rest out.... :bow:

Both are good. I paid $1.77 last weekend. If you trim that leaves a lot of snacks that will be done before the ribs. Just saying...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Trim after cook, the trimmings make very fine eating.

I am sure the trimmings will taste good but I will have 3 racks of ribs to eat so what else can I do with the trimmings besides just eating them along with the ribs? Has anyone made chili with them or tacos perhaps? I am trying to find other ways of using the trimmings.

Trim them to "St. Louis Style"
Then do the 3-2-1 thang (indirect @ about 225):
Place the spare ribs directly on the grate, bone side down for 3 hours.
Wrap the ribs in foil. Splash on about 1/4 cup of apple juice just before closing them up and place the wrapped ribs on the grate for 2 hours.
Remove the ribs from the foil and place them back on the grate, bone side down for a final hour and sauce 'em up.
Note: Baby backs can be done this way as well except that it is more of a 2-2-1 method with 2 hours on the grate, 2 hours wrapped then a final hour unwrapped and on the grate to finish up.
These times are very rough!
Don't sauce the trim. Save for anything you would want some pork in. Baked beans for example.
The grissly part my dog loves.

Last edited:
My preference, I like to trim to St Louis, and smoke the trimmings along with the ribs. The trimmings are done much sooner than the ribs, so I’ll cut the trimming meat into small chunks to add to Mrs. Red’s baked beans.

Red

I prefer whole spare ribs as well. Some people are turned off by nibbling on the cartilage bits in them, but I find that is the most tasty part of the ribs. I'm a keep it simple and easy guy, so I just slather with hot sauce, apply rub, and drop them into a clean burning cooker. I don't wrap, spritz, glaze, nothing. BBQ sauce on the side for anyone who wants it. Just cook 'em till done.

I actually like cooking the whole spare rib and trim it after. Seems to be more forgiving to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trim to St Louis. Follow the Wampus bean recipe and put the trimmings on with the sausage. When you look at the bean recipe it will make sense. When done, cube the trimmings and throw them in the pot of beans.

Last edited:
Back