Friday night pork steaks

ronbrad62

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ron
My wife noticed that my "supply" of ribs and marked down meats in the freezer were getting plentiful so I decided it was in my best interest if I start emptying it out (so that I can have room for future purchases, of course). I had a package of pork steaks that I bought on markdown and since the hurricane decided to change course and avoid Atlanta, it left us with beautiful fall weather in which to fire up the grill.
I seasoned the pork steaks with a blend that is made locally and it has a kick, and a blend that a buddy of mine mixed and he gave it to me to try and it's really good.
A little bit of time indirect and then right over the coals for some char and grill marks.
Served up with some asparagus and mac and cheese and to wash it down, Sam Adams Octoberfest, the best reason for the season. It really hit the spot!
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_174220810.jpg
    IMG_20220930_174220810.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20220930_174401473.jpg
    IMG_20220930_174401473.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20220930_184445715.jpg
    IMG_20220930_184445715.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20220930_185107301.jpg
    IMG_20220930_185107301.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20220930_190926430.jpg
    IMG_20220930_190926430.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 235
My wife noticed that my "supply" of ribs and marked down meats in the freezer were getting plentiful so I decided it was in my best interest if I start emptying it out (so that I can have room for future purchases, of course). I had a package of pork steaks that I bought on markdown and since the hurricane decided to change course and avoid Atlanta, it left us with beautiful fall weather in which to fire up the grill.
I seasoned the pork steaks with a blend that is made locally and it has a kick, and a blend that a buddy of mine mixed and he gave it to me to try and it's really good.
A little bit of time indirect and then right over the coals for some char and grill marks.
Served up with some asparagus and mac and cheese and to wash it down, Sam Adams Octoberfest, the best reason for the season. It really hit the spot!
Thanks for looking.

That whole meal looks delicious!

If I'm not mistaken, pork steak is cut from the butt (a.k.a. shoulder), is that correct? That being said, I was under the impression that cut needed low, slow & long to render fat and break down connective tissue to make it tender and juicy. Was that an incorrect assumption?

How long and to what internal temp did you cook this?

It kind of looks like you simply treated this as a beef steak, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
JD

That whole meal looks delicious!

If I'm not mistaken, pork steak is cut from the butt (a.k.a. shoulder), is that correct? That being said, I was under the impression that cut needed low, slow & long to render fat and break down connective tissue to make it tender and juicy. Was that an incorrect assumption?

How long and to what internal temp did you cook this?

It kind of looks like you simply treated this as a beef steak, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
JD

You are correct in your assumptions, I had thought about wrapping them in in foil to tenderize just like you would a pork butt, but I pretty much took my chances in cooking them this way, and while not as tender as pulled pork, they were actually not tough at all, just a little chew to them, not too different from a pork chop. I didn't cook to a certain IT, I just slipped a toothpick in to test tenderness. Sometimes, my rebel side comes out :wink:

You are correct in your assumptions, I had thought about wrapping them in in foil to tenderize just like you would a pork butt, but I pretty much took my chances in cooking them this way, and while not as tender as pulled pork, they were actually not tough at all, just a little chew to them, not too different from a pork chop. I didn't cook to a certain IT, I just slipped a toothpick in to test tenderness. Sometimes, my rebel side comes out :wink:

Cool,
The old toothpick trick, nice!
I don't mind a little chew : )
I've gotta try some pork steaks like that, i.e. on the Weber, two zone, w/ apple chunks.
Best regards!
JD

Looks great, 1/2" is what I look for on these, have tried the 1"+ and definitely to tough for grilling, I use shag bark for flavoring the charcoal when I make these. Been known to marinate with zesty Italian dressing instead of a rub.

Back