Food for 20 to 25 - help

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Hosting a party for a buddy of mine who has some friends coming into town for the Florida/Michigan game - trying to get an idea of how much food to smoke

Was thinking of the following

2 briskets

1 large pork shoulder for pulled pork

6 racks of st louis style ribs

10 chicken breast

Sausage

Will also have sides, etc - and plan on just serving line style inside the house. Is this too much or not enough food

That sounds like more than enough for twice as many people. I do a couple of butts and sides for that many people a few times a year.

Although it looks like more than enough I am always a fan of throwing an extra butt on. It can be kept and brought out fresh later in the day when people get hungry again. Yanno, after a few drinks :) Cheap way to get food in people

Do the math this way.

Pulled pork 1/3lb per person. 10lb butt gives you 5lbs cooked or food for 15
Ribs 3-4 bones per person, 3 people per slab x 6 slabs is food for 18
Chicken breasts 1 per person x10 is food for 10
Brisket 1/3lb per person. 12lb brisket gives you 7lbs of meat so 2 briskets is food for 40

By my calculations you can feed 75 people on what you are cooking if you have sides :)

Do the math this way.

Pulled pork 1/3lb per person. 10lb butt gives you 5lbs cooked or food for 15
Ribs 3-4 bones per person, 3 people per slab x 6 slabs is food for 18
Chicken breasts 1 per person x10 is food for 10
Brisket 1/3lb per person. 12lb brisket gives you 7lbs of meat so 2 briskets is food for 40

By my calculations you can feed 75 people on what you are cooking if you have sides :)
And in my world that means it is the perfect amount for 20-25 people.

My Thoughts:

2 briskets CHECK.....maybe one

1 large pork shoulder for pulled pork "Minimum 2"

6 racks of st louis style ribs CHECK

10 chicken breast CHECK

Sausage "Minimum 3-4 Pounds. Good Sausage disappears fast."

I'm on board with alot that has been said here. It's alot of meat, but I'd be looking at per person amounts of: 3oz brisket, 3oz pork, 3 bones, 1/2 breast, & 1 link.

With that said...I'd cook:

1 brisket 10# or larger
2 pork butts in the 6-9# range (you'll have plenty of leftovers)
6 or 7 racks of ribs (7 if you want everyone to have 3 bones)
10-12 breasts cut in half
1 link of sausage for everyone

That's basically what everyone is going toward anyway...I'd just cut the brisket to 1 and be sure to have 2 butts. The pork is so much cheaper than brisket...and I'd rather have pork left over.

Good luck & have fun!

I tend to agree with Stlsportser and Cook. Those are doable numbers, especially with sides.

I always do appiteasers, especially popcorn served in paper grocery bags. Popcorn is inexpensive and takes up a lot of stomach space. I pop the corn and season it with the same rub as is on the butts, or brisket, or breasts. You'll want to add some salt to the rub that you put on your butts, etc. if the rub is salt free. It gives the guests a hint of things to come. Popcorn is inexpensive, easy to prepare, and everyone loves it, especially the kids. I learned this trick from a CIA chef who was a BBQ and catering genius.

I cooked for 27 people a few weeks ago and I seriously over estimated the amount of food. You have to consider who's eating this - a bunch of serious chow hounds cutting loose, or the social sampling crowd.

I planned on chow hounds and got the social sample crowd - bad info from the person I was cooking for and there was lots of leftovers.

A bunch of guys coming in to watch a game reads like chow hounds to me. My suggestion:

1 brisket

10 chicken breast

Sausage

You might have leftovers, but they might disappear when the drunks need something to sop up the beer. :-D

I cooked for 27 people a few weeks ago and I seriously over estimated the amount of food. You have to consider who's eating this - a bunch of serious chow hounds cutting loose, or the social sampling crowd.

I planned on chow hounds and got the social sample crowd - bad info from the person I was cooking for and there was lots of leftovers.

A bunch of guys coming in to watch a game reads like chow hounds to me. My suggestion:

1 brisket

10 chicken breast

Sausage

You might have leftovers, but they might disappear when the drunks need something to sop up the beer. :-D

Thank you for the info - this group is coming over Friday night in preparation for the Florida/Michigan game on Saturday - but i like what you have suggested - with that and the sides I think I will be good

Back