First experiences with the Grilla Grillz Silverbac!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
So... Lets start with story time! My cooker arrived this morning in WV's hub office for the XPO logistic transport service.. its 1 hour and 30 minutes away from here.. With bigger cookers from Grilla Grillz they require them to make an appointment for delivery.. So with their tracking services they had an estimated delivery of Tomorrow.. Waited til about noon decided to say screw it and call the office myself..

They confirmed my order was there and transferred me to a delivery guy.. He said "we don't have anything going your way so it will be late next week".. From that point my jaw dropped and I was like "well no that's not gonna work. I asked them to measure the box if the dimensions are small enough to fit in my car I was on my way... Sure enough I had to go pick it up today wasn't going to wait til late next week!

Took a buddy of mine and I 30-60 mins to put together. This thing looks sharp as hell and built like a tank!

63PMlGNl.jpg

The cooking surface is real nice but i'll be buying the top rack extension soon.

tKVyIDOl.jpg

Got her fired up to 450 for 45 minutes for the "seasoning" burning oils out once smoke started rolling I was jumping around like an idiot and having a blast!
JZaRtAjl.jpg

Once it was seasoned I turned the fire down to 400 and threw on a pack of chicken legs I forgot I bought the other day for another meal. It was starting to get dark so I wanted to hurry and see how this thing did as a pellet fired oven.

6WTTvqgl.jpg

Here's the chicken done. I pulled them at 190-200 degree's. Seasoned them with oak ridge gamebird rub. They looked really good coming off the cooker.. Tasted great. light on the smoke flavor but you knew it was there. For the first run they were delicious!
la4nQ6el.jpg

Here's a picture of the hopper and how much pellets i used during the seasoning process and the chicken leg cook! Looks to be pretty efficient in fuel.
nl3CQyNl.jpg

All went well with the first run... But then disaster strikes! This thing is sitting in a grassy yard area.. I plan on storing it under a roof for storing and cooking, but I need to build a level pad for the cooker. trying to wheel it on the grass over gravel drive way the whole cooker dumps over! I lost almost the entire hopper of pellets.. got pellets all over the place!

I plugged it in, made sure the auger ran, and it turned on! But still it was crazy and I'm mad i used the pellets from grilla grillz as they are 20 dollars for 20lb bag!! I'm not picking them up off the ground and putting them back in the smoker! Still unsure if the cooker still works or if there was anything bad to happen to it as it fell over..

But when I get up in the morning I'm gonna have a few racks of ribs and a pork butt.. I will stop being nervous once I start smoking in the morning. But I'm gonna have to take the shop vac to it and clean it out real well before using it.

OVERALL... I freaking love this cooker.. It ran well, really pleased how the chicken came off of it. Just wish I had the cart with bigger wheels, but once the level pad gets built under the roof then i won't have a problem.

Congrats! Top heavy is very common. Just have to be careful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice cooker and cook! Glad you like it. Sorry you had the mishap... that happens sometimes when I get all excited ...lol

Lookin forward you some more pictures

Nice cooker and cook! Glad you like it. Sorry you had the mishap... that happens sometimes when I get all excited ...lol

Lookin forward you some more pictures

Well I can give you a sneak peek.. I have a full spare rib, 2 stl style ribs, a 10lb pork butt, stuff for bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno's. one cornish hen, and a fatty..

Looking at the main cooking grate. I was hoping i could fit the ribs and pork butt on it IF... I break down the full spare into STL style.. But I really doubt it? saving the top rack for the peppers..

So I'm thinking if I put the pork butt on and the full spare and the fatty on.. The fatty will be done for breakfast, and bout time the full spare gets done I can either finish that in the oven or hope there's enough shrinkage so i can fit the other STL style ribs on it.. I haven't came up with a game plan on that just yet. I'm not on a time limit. so It doesn't matter if I have a rack of ribs done way ahead of the others. I'll save that one for myself and just eat it later lol

Great cook! Looks like a great cooker that will turn out some fantastic eats! Looking forward to lore.

Well I can give you a sneak peek.. I have a full spare rib, 2 stl style ribs, a 10lb pork butt, stuff for bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno's. one cornish hen, and a fatty..

Looking at the main cooking grate. I was hoping i could fit the ribs and pork butt on it IF... I break down the full spare into STL style.. But I really doubt it? saving the top rack for the peppers..

So I'm thinking if I put the pork butt on and the full spare and the fatty on.. The fatty will be done for breakfast, and bout time the full spare gets done I can either finish that in the oven or hope there's enough shrinkage so i can fit the other STL style ribs on it.. I haven't came up with a game plan on that just yet. I'm not on a time limit. so It doesn't matter if I have a rack of ribs done way ahead of the others. I'll save that one for myself and just eat it later lol

Man that sounds like your having some fun! I’m playing the shuffle game too until my Mak shows up.

I’m sitting out by my Shirley feeding splits, smoking about 60#s of pork shoulder and drinking a nice IPA .

I think I’ll call it a night soon and transfer everything to the Grilla chimp and primo and set some alarms on my temp probes.

Man that sounds like your having some fun! I’m playing the shuffle game too until my Mak shows up.

I’m sitting out by my Shirley feeding splits, smoking about 60#s of pork shoulder and drinking a nice IPA .

I think I’ll call it a night soon and transfer everything to the Grilla chimp and primo and set some alarms on my temp probes.

Yeah I'm thinking I will do a legit 225 temp cook. I've always done 275+ but just to experiment. Gonna just load it up at 225 and let things cook

But ya as long as the cooker fires up and runs in the morning I'll be soo pleased with the cooker. I have a feeling its gonna get alot of use

Another than being a lil tipsy, sounds like your off to a GREAT start!!! Hope you’ll keep us posted as you put to use and learn your new Grilla :)

I have the SB Alpha and use it more than anything. The #1 accessory you can buy is the ProCart upgrade. It makes it incredibly sturdy and I can roll it around wherever I want to.

Here are a few quick tips
- Remove the screen in the hopper, pellets like to get caught up there. Easily removed with a phillips head screwdriver.
- Use high quality pellets like Lumberjack grilling pellets, they seem to provide the best smoke in my experience
- Clean the firepot with a shopvac after about 12 hours worth of cooks. Any longer than that and the ash will really start to build up and you'll have a flame out (error code: Erl - temp below 110 for too long)
- Prime the firepot with a small handful of pellets before you fire up (after your initial prime), seems to get to temp and hold quicker doing that.
- The Alpha controller is worth it, and a simple upgrade if you didn't buy it already. MODE 2 IS KING.

If you have any questions give me a holler! I use it at least a couple times a week for various things and have done just about every protein on them.

190c9dca6441e5496599e73ec0a32536.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! The only thing I don’t like about my pellet smoker is that it has made me slightly averse to anything but wood fire flavor when smoking lol. Clean wood fire combustion is hard to beat and unfortunately I can’t get that same high heat combustion anywhere but a pellet smoker and an offset.

I have the SB Alpha and use it more than anything. The #1 accessory you can buy is the ProCart upgrade. It makes it incredibly sturdy and I can roll it around wherever I want to.

Here are a few quick tips
- Remove the screen in the hopper, pellets like to get caught up there. Easily removed with a phillips head screwdriver.
- Use high quality pellets like Lumberjack grilling pellets, they seem to provide the best smoke in my experience

- Clean the firepot with a shopvac after about 12 hours worth of cooks. Any longer than that and the ash will really start to build up and you'll have a flame out (error code: Erl - temp below 110 for too long)
- Prime the firepot with a small handful of pellets before you fire up (after your initial prime), seems to get to temp and hold quicker doing that.
- The Alpha controller is worth it, and a simple upgrade if you didn't buy it already. MODE 2 IS KING.

If you have any questions give me a holler! I use it at least a couple times a week for various things and have done just about every protein on them.

I bought 120lbs of lumber jack pellets. different flavors. I did not get the alpha controller. This is just the original silverbac. Probably wish I spent the extra but i was strapped for cash as it was.

Also wish I could pick up the procart but I don't wanna pay that money if I can help it. I'm just gonna build a level pad under my roof area outside and use/store it there.

I bought 120lbs of lumber jack pellets. different flavors. I did not get the alpha controller. This is just the original silverbac. Probably wish I spent the extra but i was strapped for cash as it was.

Also wish I could pick up the procart but I don't wanna pay that money if I can help it. I'm just gonna build a level pad under my roof area outside and use/store it there.

I seem to get the best smoke flavor with the 100% Hickory or 100% Mesquite.

If you don't have to or need to move it that ProCart definitely isn't necessary. My driveway is gravel and sometimes even just roll it out in the yard so it has been a godsend.

Enjoy the cooker! It's been great going on 2 years with it. You will probably use it more than any other cooker you have simply because of the ease of use.

I seem to get the best smoke flavor with the 100% Hickory or 100% Mesquite.

If you don't have to or need to move it that ProCart definitely isn't necessary. My driveway is gravel and sometimes even just roll it out in the yard so it has been a godsend.

Enjoy the cooker! It's been great going on 2 years with it. You will probably use it more than any other cooker you have simply because of the ease of use.

Haha.. I already forgot about my other cooks! The pro cart probably will come in handy later... Depends how the pad I'm building works out. if I still have to move it.. if I'm moving it alot then I'm probably going to get the cart and be done with it. lol

Congratulations on the SB !!!! Sorry about the mishap .... hope nothing was damaged. You are wasting no time in putting that grill through its paces. Looking forward to more pictures ... especially of you jumping around ...

Back