THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
I finally got around to firing up my Weber OTP that found on craigslist.

I decided to give the first cook honors to some MOINK balls:
IMG_7219.jpg

Got my gasser involved by lighting the Kingsford:
IMG_7222.jpg

Got the OTP going (and the XL Egg going for another purpose - unfortunately it wasn't worth pron):
IMG_7227.jpg

Finished MOINK balls (minus some early taste tests):
IMG_7228.jpg

Overall the OTP was pretty nice to operate. This is my first kettle ever and I'm looking forward to using it some more.

Very nice. I broke in my grill with some MOINK balls yesterday as well. Looks like you tried some different rubs. Any report on your taste-test?

Very nice. I broke in my grill with some MOINK balls yesterday as well. Looks like you tried some different rubs. Any report on your taste-test?

Good observation. Yes, I was conducting a taste test of rubs. Fellow brethren martyleach and I initially had difficulty distinguishing one over another as the flavor of the sauce overwhelmed the rubs. A little later after they cooled off, my wife and I were able to tell the DP Pineapple Head was a little sweeter I think due to the turbinado sugar in its contents. IMO, the extra sweetness wasn't really needed. Although the two Simply Marvelous rubs (Cherry and Sweet & Spicy) are clearly different rubs, we really couldn't tell one from another this time.

I normally dust the MOINKs with both SM products and I think I should just stick with that as my go-to combo.

They look great John :thumb: Let me know if you grow tired of the Kettle, I would be more than happy to give it a new home :becky: Share some info about the contents of the BGE, experimental?

They look great John :thumb: Let me know if you grow tired of the Kettle, I would be more than happy to give it a new home :becky: Share some info about the contents of the BGE, experimental?
Yeah, I made some pulled pork pockets that were inspired by a Patio Daddio post.
Mine came out "OK" but I had my baking stone a little too hot & the bottoms were a little over baked.
I mainly wanted to test to see if I could do something like this at the upcoming Eggfest in June.
I don't see myself doing these as I won't have easy access to a sink & I made quite a mess.

Good observation. Yes, I was conducting a taste test of rubs. Fellow brethren martyleach and I initially had difficulty distinguishing one over another as the flavor of the sauce overwhelmed the rubs. A little later after they cooled off, my wife and I were able to tell the DP Pineapple Head was a little sweeter I think due to the turbinado sugar in its contents. IMO, the extra sweetness wasn't really needed. Although the two Simply Marvelous rubs (Cherry and Sweet & Spicy) are clearly different rubs, we really couldn't tell one from another this time.

I normally dust the MOINKs with both SM products and I think I should just stick with that as my go-to combo.

Although I wasn't able to pick out the different rubs, it may have been because I wouldn't wait for them to cool down and fried my tongue. Why do I always do that?? But they were still excellent!

Back