Weber chimney

Bury Me In Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AD
Bought a new Weber chimney recently, first time I got some charcoal nice and hot I noticed the bottom of the handle had melted! Can't say this has ever happened on my old chimneys. I'd have to replace them due to the metal disintegrating, but never saw a handle melt on the old ones. I reached out to Weber and they are sending me a new one, but I have to assume the same thing will happen.

Attachments

• Weber Chimney.jpg
    Weber Chimney.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 247
Mine get really hot if I place below the bowl surface. In those cases I place on a slant. Sitting atop a grate or level surface not below bowl I've never had an issue with a hot handle. As well below bowl line full of coals using coals under it to balance a starter cube will super heat a handle

I've always started mine in the bottom of the bowl, never had an issue with the previous handles. Not a big deal and the chimney will still work, I'm just thinking they changed materials to cut some costs along the way.

I have one from like 10-15 years ago and I think I got it nice and melty once, but it wasn't really during normal operational use. I just got the mini version for my smoker with the same handle as yours and certainly FEELS like different material.

Total side note, I dig your screen name, and I think you know where you got it...Stone the Crow is my fave song off that same album.

What do you use to start your coal? I use the Weber starter cubes. Has never happened on mine. Also, consider which way the wind is blowing. The cubes will not blow out and concentrate to the center of the rig. Good Luck!

I have one from like 10-15 years ago and I think I got it nice and melty once, but it wasn't really during normal operational use. I just got the mini version for my smoker with the same handle as yours and certainly FEELS like different material.

Total side note, I dig your screen name, and I think you know where you got it...Stone the Crow is my fave song off that same album.

Nice to see you picked up on my screen name! Stone The Crow is an excellent song!

Mine I got from Home Depot or Lowes lasted one start, the second one the plastic handle came completely off, and third use the entire handle rivets or welds popped and almost spilled coals everywhere near a mulch flower bed just off of the concrete. Never used one for 4-5 years when I got my Kamado and just use tumbleweeds as starters in the charcoal pile already in the grill or smoker.

Now I have a BBQ Dragon chimney and fan for the past 2-3 years or so, and I love those things. The chimney has lasted a few years with weekly use, but the handle came off of it a year or so ago, so now I just use a grilling glove to grab the metal handle and dump the coals with. It's rusting so I need to get a new one, but then I see these Chuds type chimneys and think about how long those would last, but need to find one that uses the fan. Once you use the fan to start the coals (if they don't spark too bad) in just 5-10 mins or less, and then use the fan to stoke the smoker or grill, you don't want to waste time on coals any longer. If I do have to prep my meat and such because I forgot or something, then I just let the chimney go as normal and it's ready when I get done.

I recently used my fish/turkey cooker to lite some briquettes and it worked ok but did take longer than the fan. I imagine with lump I'd of had a yard fire in a hurry.

Started a chimney full of lump over the gas assist the other night, got sidetracked in the shop and when I went back out side I smelled plastic burning. I said to myself “What th’ he… OH CHIT!!!”

Yep, the inside of the handle was laying in a puddle in the bottom of Waylon, gloves are required to dump charcoal now :thumb:

Noooo, not calling weber

Started a chimney full of lump over the gas assist the other night, got sidetracked in the shop and when I went back out side I smelled plastic burning. I said to myself “What th’ he… OH CHIT!!!”

Yep, the inside of the handle was laying in a puddle in the bottom of Waylon, gloves are required to dump charcoal now :thumb:

Noooo, not calling weber
Had maybe 3-4 Weber chimneys over the decades. Some got a little melted on both ends of the plastic/whatever handle...the top side of one trying Alton Brown's "jet engine" cooking method.

Never experienced a full meltdown. Never left them out in the rain. Replaced each with a newer one just because the older one looked old. Put one old one with my OTS grill package for camping.

To the OP's point, Chinese Weber making the newer chimneys with cheaper material? The new handle he posted looks nothing like the handles I've had.

Cleanest way to start a chimney of lump is with the gas assist on my Performer. Quick, no newspaper or cooking oil. Sometimes cheat with the JJ using those when the Performer is not around.

Not Weber related but I saw a slick one at Tractor Supply that has a trigger. Instead of tipping the unit over to dump the coals you pull the trigger and the bottom drops out. Pretty neat concept - hoping someone here has some experience with it good or bad. What say you???

Not Weber related but I saw a slick one at Tractor Supply that has a trigger. Instead of tipping the unit over to dump the coals you pull the trigger and the bottom drops out. Pretty neat concept - hoping someone here has some experience with it good or bad. What say you???
I have the Mad Cow Cutlery chimney: https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter-MADE/dp/B00HXWU8GY

It warps with heat and the trap doors don't open. Stainless, weighs a ton. But at least it hasn't rusted away.

Back