First Build

For not being a mason, that sure looks good. I don't think I'd even try brick work, as it would probably be a disaster. I get along with wood and wire okay though.

Had to pressure wash the house yesterday after work so I only had time to mix a half bag and lay a few more brick on top. I'm thinking one more course on top before the cap, then on to the grill.
Those of you with a brick smoker, what size flue are you running and when/if you use a damper what are the measurements that it is left open. I don't want to choke it down too much and not get enough flow. One more course should leave an opening about one brick wide and two bricks long.

I think I'm done with the chimney. I just left it open for now and can cover the opening with a piece of metal if it needs to be slowed down. I topped it with a piece of slate I had.
I'm going to see how a set if wood doors hold up for the top. Hopefully they will last a season or two. We will just have to see.

While I was cooking today I got the racks put in and the brick for the grill arranged. I didn't get a pic of the grill but cropped one best I could to try to show it. Still need the bottom door, a baffle, and a couple weeks to cure.

1)
For the baffle, I have some old T-posts i was thinking of cutting for the braces to run across and rest some metal on them. I also have an old refrigerator that has been needing to go to the dump. Would a piece of metal cut from the refrigerator work for the baffle if I cut two pieces a little larger than half the opening so I can overlap them and slide them to adjust airflow. The main question, is that a safe metal, or is it coated in something?

2)
Will I need to close the chimney off to cold smoke?

I need a bottom door and a baffle. Trying not to spend a fortune on it. I can upgrade as I go later. The brick needs to cure a few weeks before it can get real hot. I may cold smoke some salmon sooner though. I'm itching. To cold smoke I can just close off the bottom and vent some smoke in from a outside fire.
Probably three weeks from a shoulder.

Back