First Build

Im trying to decide if I like the shelf before I continue. I can knock a few brick off now and remove the shelf. Just kinda seems to stick out like a sore thumb. May be when the wood dries out some it will look better with a little stain. I also need to trim the right edge.

Im trying to decide if I like the shelf before I continue. I can knock a few brick off now and remove the shelf. Just kinda seems to stick out like a sore thumb. May be when the wood dries out some it will look better with a little stain.

Worst case, you can always cut the hinge off flush if you change your mind.

I was just thinking that if I was going to do a little demo I would lower the sill of the cabinet doors to be flush with the grill by dropping the door two courses.

I broke some brick to get an off set pattern. I was able to get a little laid between rain showers. Supposed to rain through Tuesday here.
I'll add some expanded metal to the racks later.

Got the fire box completed and sealed off the back wall. I started building the divider for the grill also before I ran out of mud.

Last edited:
So, I've been thinking often enough about the shelf that I figured if I've not been able to stop thinking about it I will probably never be happy with it so I did some demo this morning and removed part of the center wall and front wall so I can lower the opening for the smoke cabinet, and create a ledge for the baffle to sit on.

Great thread! Im planning to build a small pavilion on the back of our lot and have been mulling over the idea of doing this right here.

One question though. When I had my french doors installed they used a very large piece of angle to brace the opening above the doors. I asked him about this and he just said it had to do with codes and bricks hitting people in the head. Id imaging it helps with sagging overtime not sure if it was just because the area of the door was so wide.

Great thread! Im planning to build a small pavilion on the back of our lot and have been mulling over the idea of doing this right here.

One question though. When I had my french doors installed they used a very large piece of angle to brace the opening above the doors. I asked him about this and he just said it had to do with codes and bricks hitting people in the head. Id imaging it helps with sagging overtime not sure if it was just because the area of the door was so wide.

There is one running across the tops of the openings and one more will be above the top opening. It's about 3" angle.

welldone.jpg

Nice!

Back