THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For not being a mason, that sure looks good. I don't think I'd even try brick work, as it would probably be a disaster. I get along with wood and wire okay though.

Had to pressure wash the house yesterday after work so I only had time to mix a half bag and lay a few more brick on top. I'm thinking one more course on top before the cap, then on to the grill.
Those of you with a brick smoker, what size flue are you running and when/if you use a damper what are the measurements that it is left open. I don't want to choke it down too much and not get enough flow. One more course should leave an opening about one brick wide and two bricks long.

I think I'm done with the chimney. I just left it open for now and can cover the opening with a piece of metal if it needs to be slowed down. I topped it with a piece of slate I had.
I'm going to see how a set if wood doors hold up for the top. Hopefully they will last a season or two. We will just have to see.

While I was cooking today I got the racks put in and the brick for the grill arranged. I didn't get a pic of the grill but cropped one best I could to try to show it. Still need the bottom door, a baffle, and a couple weeks to cure.

1)
For the baffle, I have some old T-posts i was thinking of cutting for the braces to run across and rest some metal on them. I also have an old refrigerator that has been needing to go to the dump. Would a piece of metal cut from the refrigerator work for the baffle if I cut two pieces a little larger than half the opening so I can overlap them and slide them to adjust airflow. The main question, is that a safe metal, or is it coated in something?

2)
Will I need to close the chimney off to cold smoke?

I need a bottom door and a baffle. Trying not to spend a fortune on it. I can upgrade as I go later. The brick needs to cure a few weeks before it can get real hot. I may cold smoke some salmon sooner though. I'm itching. To cold smoke I can just close off the bottom and vent some smoke in from a outside fire.
Probably three weeks from a shoulder.

Back