First Brisket what did I not do right

Guys
Another question what is the differences between a brisket flat and a brisket. Why is a brisket flat used for braised brisket and what is a braised brisket.
( Repaired cast iron by using brass rod and flux) never braised a brisket, still time to learn.
It's a wasted day if we don't learn something new.
Thanks

A full packer brisket that is usually smoked contains the point (which is the super tender part) and the flat which is a bit less tender and can be dry). The flat is sold separately in supermarkets and is commonly used for braised brisket which I mention below.

brisket-anatomy-small.jpg

When you braise your brisket you have to set your torch just right.
Just joking! Braised brisket is cooked in the oven in a deep pan with liquid and vegetables.
Here is a video on how to braise a brisket. https://youtu.be/5zZB302gyfo
He used a full packer brisket, usually you use the flat from the supermarket which is usually around 4 to 6 lb.
instant-pot-smoked-brisket-820x565.jpg

Last edited:
If this is not in the right area please do not roast me.
Guys I took advantage of a beautiful day today to fire up the home made horizontal stick burner.
2 EA naked fatties, second time for them, way to much salt in the rub, smoked great.
1 pork roast rubbed with same rub as the fatties.
Main problem I an looking for help with is brisket.
Following a thread from the Bludawg I smoked a 5 - 6 lb brisket 275/300 deg 4 hrs. Wrapped in foil till internal temp 200/ 205 deg took about another hour .Probe was hard to push in. Went ahead and pulled brisket let it rest.
Cut a small piece later not bad flavor but still extremely tough.
What did I do wrong, and can I put the brisket into a crock pot and cook it some more to get it more tender.
Thanks in advance for educating a new b.

Did you wrap and hold after the rest? I always seem to get a better product when I can do at least a two hour hold.

I do mine on a PBC so my smoker temp is going to be in the same range you used. The first one I ever cooked was also my first time using a smoker. I just followed directions for time and IT but didn't do a hold in the cooler because I didn't know better.

Same thing you experienced: good taste but really not what I was expecting. Funny thing is that it tasted way better the next day out of the microwave.

Anyways, following the same type of timeline and IT but adding the hold took my brisket to where it needed to be.

Also put me in for overcooking is better than undercooking. I generally take mine to a point where I can pull/shred it since I almost always make it under the premise that my wife and I will be eating it for over a week, if not two. Holds up better for reheating when it is pulled as I can pour all the juices into the ziplock bags and I get the point mixed in with the flat.

I am off between Christmas and New years, think I will try to smoke 1 if the wife doesn't bankrupt us buying presents lol. Deer season has been a bust this year due to lack of time spent so I need to releave some stress by smoking

Same. I leave work at noon the 24th and don't come back until the 4th of January. I've already mapped out a couple of cooks while I'm off work, (1) Brisket, (1) Pork Butt, (3) Slabs of Pork Spares... probably a Fatty or three just for breakfasts and snackin' meat.

Food Saver is ready to go, many extra bags have been purchased... if I do it right I won't have to cook for most of January

Back