Finally got a real smoker!

Nice score! You're going to have a blast with it. It's a tasty learning curve too. :wink:

Nice haul. But maybe it is just me, the grates do look pretty rusted. Replace or clean?

Yeah, I agree they look pretty rusty, but you can also still see some areas of clean chrome so I'm thinking they probably aren't too bad. This weekend I'm going to hit them with some oven cleaner and steel wool and see how they turn out. If they don't get clean enough, I'll order some replacements.

Yeah, I agree they look pretty rusty, but you can also still see some areas of clean chrome so I'm thinking they probably aren't too bad. This weekend I'm going to hit them with some oven cleaner and steel wool and see how they turn out. If they don't get clean enough, I'll order some replacements.
:thumb:

Curious. I don't a WSM. But isn't it designed to be used with the water pan?
Save

Water makes it fool proof. The temps just cant get too hot. It is messy to clean up and the smoker uses more fuel but takes more controling. Many start with water and then go witout after they get use to things usimg a therm to gauge the temp. If i had my wsm again i would use water and forgo the gadgets.

Fantastic find! Grab a pork shoulder and go!

I think I'm going to have a few people over to watch the Super Bowl, primarily as an excuse to fire up the new toy... I'm just debating whether I want to do a pork shoulder or pepper stout beef. I might do pepper stout beef and a couple racks of ribs... I mean, sure it will be waaaay more food than we need, but I have the room now right?

Water makes it fool proof. The temps just cant get too hot. It is messy to clean up and the smoker uses more fuel but takes more controling. Many start with water and then go witout after they get use to things usimg a therm to gauge the temp. If i had my wsm again i would use water and forgo the gadgets.

I forgo the gadgets and the water in mine. Load it up with coals, a few chunks of wood, dump some lit ones on top, and away we go!

Back