THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Made breakfast tacos for Sunday morning and ended up with a nice bowl of leftover filling (scrambled eggs w/peppers & onions, potatos, sausage & cheese). With two pounds of breakfast sausage and a pound of thin-sliced bacon languishing on the garage freezer, what else to do but make a mega-fatty? My spousal unit threw together a bacon weave on a sheet of waxed paper while I stuffed the sausage in a gallon Ziploc and flattened it out. Dumped filling on top and rolled the thing till it looked like a meatloaf. First problem was the bacon weave was a bit too small for the monster fatty, but I perservered. Rolled it up as best I could and secured with a couple of toothpicks. Threw the thing on the WSM with a rack of baby backs and set it to cruise at 265. After two and a half hours, the ribs were ready to foil and the fatty read 180 on the Thermapen. Decided to crisp the bacon on the gasser, fired it up to 400 with 3 burners on medium. Put the fatty on, closed the lid and went inside to get KCM for rib glaze. While I was gone, the bacon caught fire and by the time I got the fire out, one side was well blackened. Brushed KCM on the outside and shut the lid. 15 minutes later, removed and foiled the Cajun-style fatty. Luckily, the sauce softened the black stuff to the point where it was edible. Baby backs were 98% perfect and family raved about the Mega-Fatty. Next time, use one pound of sausage and don't walk off from the gasser.

I regularly cook bacon on my gasser rather than deal with the splatters in the kitchen and have learned to run it on low rather than ignite the dripping grease and start a spectacular conflagration.

Actually, it wasn't bad. The KCM and a few minutes on the unlit gasser softened up the blackened bacon and the sauce flavor was roundly praised by the family. One bonus - it sliced better than usual since the super-crisp bacon had enough body to stand up to a hollow ground knife edge. Maybe I'll learn my lesson about trying to multi-task while pork products hover inches above an open flame. I'm planning on finishing it up tonight, along with the rest of the baby backs. First time I used HEB brand sausage and the flavor and the texture were darn good. Next time I'm going to try the maple flavor.

Back