Eggplant Rollatini for New Year's Eve

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Our New Year's Eve meal was supposed to be a Mexican theme, but the chef (that would be me) had some last minute changes in mind and I switched it up to Italian. I saw these recently on YouTube, have never made them despite my heritage. Better late than never.

I was determined to give this new gadget a whirl on the Weber. One of the WKC members designed it, the BBQitALL. It's a ring which allows for low n slow via the snake method, but for what I needed today I was pushing its capabilities. A picture of it almost in action. Hot coals at 12:00 and 6:00, my intent was to continue the burn clockwise in both directions. I'll give it a try again when I'm doing something like a pork shoulder.

Pull the Craycort grate off, pluck out all the charcoal and put the SnS in place which I like using on the Weber. Sausage and some meatballs I'd grilled and frozen a few weeks back.

So where's the eggplant? Two eggplants, sliced and drizzled with EVOO are over on the Goldens' -

The eggplant slices would normally be baked for a few minutes in the oven til tender, but of course I'm not doing these in the oven. What doesn't fit on the Goldens' is placed on the Weber -

With the eggplant grilled and meatballs reheated, the sausage is looking good and almost done -

Prep work continues in the kitchen. Ricotta, mozzarella, Romano, chopped fresh spinach and an egg makes up the filling. Just place some on a slice and roll them -

The eggplant rolls topped with sauce and mozzarella, ready for the oven (I wasn't in the mood to bake these outdoors with the threat of rain) -

And while I had the Weber still hot, some boneless chicken breasts getting ready for Chicken Parm -

Also ready for the oven -

Rollatini after baking -

And the Chicken Parm -

Dinner is served, with some Rigatoni and meatballs -

Eggplant Rollatini was superb, as was the rest of the dinner. And of course, we have a ton of leftovers.

As always, thanks for checking out tonite's New Year's Eve dinner and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all!!

Regards,
-lunchman

I love mexican food, however I am glad you changed direction, all looks delicious.

I wouldn't normally post pics of leftovers, but since I realized yesterday that my S8 actually has a Food Mode, figured I'd snap a few more pics to experiment with it. Yeah, you can teach an old dog new tricks. And my wife still thinks I'm nuts taking pictures of food. Someday she'll get used to me.

Tonite's dinner, aka leftovers. And this time with garlic bread. :wink:

I don't know if the picture is any better using Food mode, but the dinner was still as good as it was yesterday.

Thanks all, for checking out this post. Give these Eggplant Rollatini a try, they're easy to make and quite good. There are quite a few recipes online, I used some as a guideline but pretty much made things up as I went along.

-lunchman

Back