Doubt on MEATER.

Given that metal domed grills own most of the total industry marketshare (Weber alone is 54% I was told), it seems quite odd to consider the possibility that no one would have ever tested the transmission from a kettle...
Maybe they have. Maybe they have a workaround. l have no idea. I do know, however, that getting a signal out of a Faraday cage is a problem.

These cookers are imperfect cages, however, so maybe that is enough. Or maybe they thought that would be enough and are now finding out differently: " ... also testing and fine tuning the wireless range capability ..." That sort of thing is normally done during prototyping. Leaving it to the pilot production stage risks building a batch of products that don't work and can't be fixed.

Some of my investments brought me profits, some didn't. I think the Meater is in the latter category but I hope that I am wrong. 8)

If they success, all manufactures must die.
But it is too good to be true

The best is rarely the most popular. People will still go with cheaper units or one with features/durability they like or something that is available conveniently.

I personally dont get why someone would "invest" in a product that doesn't exist. If rhis product existed and they were raising money for production it would make sense.

Either way this product is not for me. I dont use these kind of pit therms often and when i do the wire doesn't bother me. For me this product solves a problem that doesn't exist.

Except for the fact that it is a very low power radio transmitter inside a Faraday cage. It might work well in cookers with fiberglas, paper, or polystyrene shells, though.
This is the second point I doubt it.
The Bluetooth signal can not penetrate steel wall of smoker, nor even the ceramic wall. If they can do it, there are many more important applications than BBQ

Ok so the ceramic is designed to protect the electronics and the battery is probably deeper inside and insulated by the meat it's inserted in.
You light your smoker, then you drive a car 100 miles away to attend a party and you expect to be back 8 hours later, and your meat is supposed to be ready in 12 hours when internal temp. is 180F.
You have many reasons to be back 24 hours later. Your meat sits on grill 24 hours, the internal temperature could rise as 140F-180F- 225F- and when dry, fast rise to 500F+ or even burn itsself.
Then nothing can protect the battery, finally EXPLODE.
Your neibhour happens to pass by and finds smoker fire, and try to help you. After opening the cover, the battery explode, and ......

This may be a TRUE STORY.

It's neat- and if it actually sees the light of day- it'd be neater.

But I'm sort with Ninja. Even if perfected, it's not for me. None of the touted features get me excited or anxious. If you need it (or just want it)-I hope it finally comes out and is everything you could desire.

So I connected my phone to a bluetooth speaker. Started streaming some music and put it inside my FEC and closed it up. Line of site was a good signal for about 20ft, same with the gasser. But as soon as you put a wall in the way, forget it, starts dropping out. Be interested to see what the range people will be getting if it ever comes out.

So I connected my phone to a bluetooth speaker. Started streaming some music and put it inside my FEC and closed it up. Line of site was a good signal for about 20ft, same with the gasser. But as soon as you put a wall in the way, forget it, starts dropping out. Be interested to see what the range people will be getting if it ever comes out.
I find that with all the bluetooth products. Once a wall or two get in the middle, you're dropping signal. Wireless is a whole lot more stable.

I like the fact that you tested the speaker in the smoker.

All I can think of is "shake your butt" as the music plays. Maybe even do the "chicken dance" ... lol. Sorry, lame, but I couldn't resist!

Nice. An ounce of data always trumps a pound of theory.

It would be interesting to know the relative transmitter power of your phone vs. the Meater. The BT specification classes transmitters by power level and infers a range but it does not actually mandate any particular power level AFIK. The Meater Kickstarter page says range is 10 meters which, per the BT spec implies a Class 2 device with 2.5 milliwatts of transmitter power. Wild guess, unsubtantiated by any data, is that phones will be Class 1 BT devices with 100 milliwatts and an inferred range of 100m.

Did you happen to try different directions from the cooker? I'd guess that the signal is leaking our of cracks and small openings and thus will be at least somewhat directional.

Nice. An ounce of data always trumps a pound of theory.

It would be interesting to know the relative transmitter power of your phone vs. the Meater. The BT specification classes transmitters by power level and infers a range but it does not actually mandate any particular power level AFIK. The Meater Kickstarter page says range is 10 meters which, per the BT spec implies a Class 2 device with 2.5 milliwatts of transmitter power. Wild guess, unsubtantiated by any data, is that phones will be Class 1 BT devices with 100 milliwatts and an inferred range of 100m.

Did you happen to try different directions from the cooker? I'd guess that the signal is leaking our of cracks and small openings and thus will be at least somewhat directional.

Can't find anything specific on the Bluetooth specs. It's a OnePlus 3 phone, on GSMArena it shows: Bluetooth v4.2, A2DP, LE

Paired it to Cambridge SoundWorks OontZ Angle 3 Next Generation Ultra Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker.

Put the phone on a plate and closed up the FEC, walked around the house with the speaker listening for dropouts. Smoker is sealed up pretty good, even put the cover on the exhaust to seal it up some more. It's on the deck, straight shot into the kitchen then into the dining room. In the dining room, when I moved behind a wall, it started dropping out. Maybe I'll set the phone on top of the FEC tonight and check again. Actually, should have probably closed the patio door as well.

You light your smoker, then you drive a car 100 miles away to attend a party and you expect to be back 8 hours later, and your meat is supposed to be ready in 12 hours when internal temp. is 180F.
You have many reasons to be back 24 hours later. Your meat sits on grill 24 hours, the internal temperature could rise as 140F-180F- 225F- and when dry, fast rise to 500F+ or even burn itsself.
Then nothing can protect the battery, finally EXPLODE.
Your neibhour happens to pass by and finds smoker fire, and try to help you. After opening the cover, the battery explode, and ......

This may be a TRUE STORY.

My main cooker gets feed splits, any other ones I can't even get myself to sleep when they are running. I prefer to be home/awake when the cookers are running.

Drive 100 miles while the cooker is running? Uh NO

maybe im missing something. my thermoworks dot and chef alarm probes can withstand heat up to 700 for broiling or grilling. havent tried using it on a steak right over the coals. but thats what the description says the probes can do.

maybe im missing something. my thermoworks dot and chef alarm probes can withstand heat up to 700 for broiling or grilling. havent tried using it on a steak right over the coals. but thats what the description says the probes can do.
MEATER throws all into smoker including electronics and battery.
Normally all other thermometers simply leave battery and electronics outside the smoker

Well tried a couple more tests with the phone inside & outside the smoker & gasser. And I wasn't sure where the antennae is on the phone, so I pointed the top away from the house & towards the house. Also tested with the patio door open & closed.

With the phone sitting on top of the FEC & also on top of the gasser with the patio door opened or closed, I could walk anywhere on the first floor of the house with the bluetooth speaker without any dropouts. With the phone inside the FEC & gasser, the range was noticeably shorter, shorter still if I faced the top of the phone away from the house and even shorted if I closed the patio door. With the patio door closed and the top of the phone facing away from the house, I got maybe 12 -14 feet without any walls in the way, just the closed patio door. With the door open, a couple more feet maybe 3-4. Top of phone facing the house maybe 15-20 feet with door closed, 20 ft with door open, but as soon as I moved behind a wall, dropouts would start. Phone outside the smoker a good 30-33 feet at least.

So stainless steel will reduce distance, the Big Joe was still cooling down from cooking dinner and still too hot to test out inside a ceramic cooker.

Well tried a couple more tests with the phone inside & outside the smoker & gasser. And I wasn't sure where the antennae is on the phone, so I pointed the top away from the house & towards the house. Also tested with the patio door open & closed.

With the phone sitting on top of the FEC & also on top of the gasser with the patio door opened or closed, I could walk anywhere on the first floor of the house with the bluetooth speaker without any dropouts. With the phone inside the FEC & gasser, the range was noticeably shorter, shorter still if I faced the top of the phone away from the house and even shorted if I closed the patio door. With the patio door closed and the top of the phone facing away from the house, I got maybe 12 -14 feet without any walls in the way, just the closed patio door. With the door open, a couple more feet maybe 3-4. Top of phone facing the house maybe 15-20 feet with door closed, 20 ft with door open, but as soon as I moved behind a wall, dropouts would start. Phone outside the smoker a good 30-33 feet at least.

So stainless steel will reduce distance, the Big Joe was still cooling down from cooking dinner and still too hot to test out inside a ceramic cooker.
You are testing a machine gun, but they have only a toy for kids.

This is good information for the Meater Block. The Block sits outside the smoker and connects to your local network for unlimited range.

This is good information for the Meater Block. The Block sits outside the smoker and connects to your local network for unlimited range.

That's what I was assuming, booster/transmitter just outside the walls of the cooker.

ok...i had to laugh. i have not looked very hard at the meater as i wouldn't pay anything until it was out and proven.

Back