Doubt on MEATER.

I thought the electronics was hiden inside the meat too.
As long as the meat is not DRY fully, it will be under 100C.
But I was wrong.
Please check its youtube video.
The Meater is inserted into meat, the electronics section is NOT hiden inside the meat. The electronics section is exposed directly to flare. It must be well over 500C.

Now you are just trolling. They claim the electronics are in the tip and the exposed part is just the antenna. If you can see otherwise in that video, you have amazing eyes.

I thought the electronics was hiden inside the meat too.
As long as the meat is not DRY fully, it will be under 100C.
But I was wrong.
Please check its youtube video.
The Meater is inserted into meat, the electronics section is NOT hiden inside the meat. The electronics section is exposed directly to flare. It must be well over 500C.

I rarely cook at over 500* F, much less 500* C.

I'm also a backer and will wait and see. If it fails, it fails. If it works, it's great!

because I think you are a guy that likes to solve problems. I could be wrong but that is not how I take your posts. If this project does not pan out, it would not be the first time I have bet and lost.
Now, WoodPelletSmoker get back to the test bench and solve this problem and I will give you my $$. :idea:
I discussed with many China engineers, all we conclude
#1. not any electronics can withstand 275 C ( MEATER claims so). Nothing to say its video implies hundreds of C degree ( facing flare directly)
#2. none commercial battery can be placed inside a grill whatever measure it takes. explode risk is too big. We do not want you to be killed in your kitchen even though the possibility is 1 out of 100, or 1000, or 10000, or a million.
#3. We do not believe that it has any breakthough on battery. If yes, there are many more areas need the "SUPER" battery than kitchen.

We are thinking capacitor battery, it can be charged very faster, but size is too big, much bigger than Li-Ion battery.
We are thinking wireless recharger, again size is too big and speed is too slow.
We are thinking to add a water jacket around the electronics section, again too big, and battery still has risk to explode.

All in all we think MEATER is a super magic and it will never come to ture.
But we learn something from meater.

We can make a thermometer with electronics left outside the grill. The temp. sensore is inserted into a stainless steel needle. You need to drill a hole on your grill for the needle going through.
We can make a big base set. You can hang the base set anywhere at your kitchen,. with BIG LETTERs of LED for the elder.

Watch it carefully. They show a unit inserted into meat and they show a static phone screen. They don't actually let you see the phone receiving data giving an alarm or anything else that makes me think that it was actually working. It looks like an amateur magician's version of smoke and mirrors deception. I hope I am wrong because I would love to be able to seal one of these in a sous vide bag.
As Sous Vide is under 100C.
Technically you can have one.
I can make what MEATER claims to be except under 100C,

Hmm. I didn't buy into it, but I don't have any ill will for the project or its backers. I hope they do succeed, the backers are pleased and I can eventually buy one or its successor or an eventual competitor...

There are even more ambitious projects out there, like Magic Leap, which looks like far-future Star Trek-like stuff. So I'm not going to attack some WiFi thermometer just because I can't figure out how they will do it. Until proven otherwise I'll accept that some people know than me -- about certain things, at least... ;-)

I read somewhere that Blackberry thought the iPhone was vaporware after its announcement. You can even imagine them making these sorts of "I know they can't do it because X" pronouncements. But then it was released and they bought one, saw it work as demoed. And then they opened it and saw how relatively simple it was compared to their own product. Only then did they know how far behind the technology curve they had fallen...

Just my $0.02. Best wishes to the project & backers.
-John

Now you are just trolling. They claim the electronics are in the tip and the exposed part is just the antenna. If you can see otherwise in that video, you have amazing eyes.
My mistake. I thought that black square section was electronics.
But even electronics is at tip and is hidden inside the meat, it is still a big risk.
Someone must forget its bird inside his grill.
The bird will get dry like rubber or charcoal.
The battery will explode.
the number of this "someone" may be 1 out of 100, or 1000, or whatever, it is a biggest safety issue

I doubt
#1. withstand 275C
#2. effective distance of bluetooth 10 meters while MEATER is inside closed steel drill.(implied in its video)
#4.service life of battery 48 hours

My question to you is why the criticism on your part? Did you back it or is this potentially competition for a product of yours? Why belittle people that are backing the kick start as I have. Inquiring minds want to know.

Look at his posting history, he designs/sells stuff too. I think he's a Chinese manufacturer, looking to talk down the "competition". I may be wrong and if I am, I'll apologize here and now, but read the posts and decide for yourself.

Look at his posting history, he designs/sells stuff too. I think he's a Chinese manufacturer, looking to talk down the "competition". I may be wrong and if I am, I'll apologize here and now, but read the posts and decide for yourself.

You are 100% correct, but he does raise some good questions.
But he is clear on that. He used to be on the Brethren Sales page.
How can a battery survive in that environment is tops on my list.
I hope they can pull it off, but it looks like many delays and I have not seen that even a prototype has gotten into anyone's hands.

Let's hope. It does look cool.

Has anyone received a Meater?
They now say the 2nd production batch is September 2016.

I'm a backer also. I pledged for the block and from my understanding the blocks won't ship until next month or later. The stand alone units should be shipping first and that's contingent on the pilot production which should be happening now.

You are 100% correct, but he does raise some good questions.
But he is clear on that. He used to be on the Brethren Sales page.
How can a battery survive in that environment is tops on my list.
I hope they can pull it off, but it looks like many delays and I have not seen that even a prototype has gotten into anyone's hands.

Let's hope. It does look cool.

I hope he's wrong too.

The poster raising questions is a Chinese man that produces nice products. He (not sure if he in an engineer himself) is simply stating questions in his non native tongue that he has discussed with his engineers. I will also be very impressed if the Meater ever ends up shipping or working as claimed. I really hope it will though.

Sometimes whatever you type online comes off very harsh and arrogant; imagine trying it in another language.

I have had dealings with Wang (Woodpelletsmoker)down here,
I believe Its his broken English coming across.
I have even bought stuff from him,
hes actually a cool enough Guy and does BBq and camp out

Last edited:
I have had dealings with Wang (Woodpelletsmoker)down here,
I believe Its his broken English coming across.
I have even bought stuff from him,
hes actually a cool enough Guy and does BBq and camp out

I'm sure he's a perfectly great guy, I'm not judging him at all, I was responding to jakel when he asked: "My question to you is why the criticism on your part? Did you back it or is this potentially competition for a product of yours? Why belittle people that are backing the kick start as I have. Inquiring minds want to know."

Really, I've got no dog in this fight. I simply made an observation. Not knocking him or anything he sells.

I am also in for the "Block". This is my first backing of a kickstarter project and also truly hope it comes to fruition. I am encouraged by the regular updates with explanations as to the delays. Anyone that has ever built something from scratch knows there will ALWAYS be revisions to make things work better or allow them to be manufactured with greater speed or quality. There are many many steps involved to manufacture a good product. Nothing this involved is done overnight...

woodpelletsmoker is just pissed cuz he can't figure out how Meater is doing what they do... :razz:

Back