Doubt on MEATER, Part II

Last year, woodpelletsmoker caught a *lot* of grief for exposing this product as an 'in theory' piece, that cannot work from a practical standpoint.

The piling on continues in this thread. Why are we shooting the messenger? Are the investors continuing to cling onto *hope*, not wanting a reality check?

So much money poured into the campaign, the guy who invented the Meater concept got rich real fast on an idea.

I'm not an investor, so maybe I'm able to see that the Meater cannot work. It's a situation similar to what Elizabeth Holmes did -- started a company (look up Theranos) and got massive funding, *hoping* that technology would catch up with the concept.

Theranos is failing miserably, as is Meater. And the founders of both were able to fill their bank accounts. They got theirs, they're good.

I thought you were going to make your own similar version? You sounded confident you could in Meater's lying failure. Here's from your other thread.

With a lot of people possibly out of money from Meater you would be in a good place to fill the gap in the market. Is this something you still are pursuing? Would be great to see an alternative.
As I said the MEATER is too good to be true. I can never make the same model as it is an imaginary/fake product.
I can never put electronics and battery insider smoker, and I can never make a TRUE WIRELESS thermometer. the Probe must have a wire.
Only one small thing I can learn from MEATER, make the thermometer much smaller in size. Or make my thermometer similiar as MEATER only in size and configuration. But you must leave electronics and battery outside of smoker

If meater is true and genuine.
If meater lowers its target by leaving electronics outside the smoker,
with fund of US$4 million, it can be sure to make a super best thermometer for BBQ brethren.

Well it appears Meater isn't too good to be true... backers are starting to post on Kickstarter that they got them and are happy...

medium800.jpg

This guy was #49, I'm 550 but ordered a block so it will be a while longer for me... hopefully this year still :twitch:

I did too but I thought I read they will be sending the probes in the meantime til they finish the blocks.

Ya, people want that but I highly doubt it... I haven't seen anything official that's for sure.

I am reserving judgement until enough verifiably real people have them and use them for 6+ months. I have no use for one in a smoker or BBQ, but having one inside a sealed sous vide bag would be something a wired probe cannot do well.

I've never quite understood all the naysayers about the Meater thermometer not really being possible and will never work.

These have been available and in use for a couple of years now and the only significant difference is they don't have the wireless reading feature that the Meater has. Other than that they clearly show that the basic idea is sound.

https://smile.amazon.com/SteakChamp...=8-1&keywords=steak+champ+3+color+thermometer

Certainly the Meater project has run into significant delays and that may be due to trying to squeeze in the additional circuitry and battery life needed for the wireless aspect.

I've never quite understood all the naysayers about the Meater thermometer not really being possible and will never work.

These have been available and in use for a couple of years now and the only significant difference is they don't have the wireless reading feature that the Meater has. Other than that they clearly show that the basic idea is sound.

https://smile.amazon.com/SteakChamp...=8-1&keywords=steak+champ+3+color+thermometer

Certainly the Meater project has run into significant delays and that may be due to trying to squeeze in the additional circuitry and battery life needed for the wireless aspect.

The doubt was to whether the signal could escape the cook chamber.

I got in late (3200's) and ordered the block too, so, I'll get it late this year hopefully...

The doubt was also that batteries can't take the temps inside a grill.

Most grills are not a proper Faraday cage so the signal can get out...just not very far. :)

Actually it wasn't if the battery could take the heat as its protected by the meat. Now if someone forgot about a steak for say 6 hours then who knows. One never can predict how consumers will (mis)use a product. Maybe why they did extensive beta testing.

I'll leave final judgement until i see claims by people i am aware of have used them.

The doubt was also that batteries can't take the temps inside a grill.

Most grills are not a proper Faraday cage so the signal can get out...just not very far. :)

The two issues are linked. Pumping a signal though the sides of a Lang, Shirley Weber Sumit etc. is going to require more power which puts more demands on a battery which has to remain small, be tolerant of heat, and not put off too much of its own heat to influence readings.

I have major concerns about the real world wireless range, battery life and lifespan, and overall durability and lifespan of the product. The developer seems to have been very good at not showing things and smoke and mirrors displays, which is also concerning. Maybe there are some good engineers behind it, but I think skepticism is more than justified.

I ordered back in August I think, and of course it said "Shipping in September" so I was cool with that. I recognize it's a new technology in terms of both function and size... and I actually appreciate the updates I get. I have a degree in engineering so I understand the complexities associated with this product, and I actually really give credit to these guys for sticking it out and ensuring that when they finally do ship the end product it will WORK. As others have said who knows what kinds of silly things consumers will do with this product, so I'm glad they are having their beta-testers beat the crud out of these things. It might take a bit longer, but I'll be happy when the product I get works.

I did end up having to buy a Thermoworks Smoke in the short term while waiting for Meater as my iGrill 2 died a few months ago. As much as I like my Smoke, each and every cook I can see the probes getting a bit more beat up. The meat probe is too long and will not fit inside the probe port on my Yoder offset, so that's kind of a pain.

I will also say that if Meater was a pure money scheming stunt then they absolutely would have already cashed in, shut down, and closed shop. Instead they developed and released the app for both Android and iPhones... that's a lot of developing and registration costs if they were just a scheme this whole time.

So the MEATER has finally shipped.... not to beta testers, but to actual backers! They are saying it's a small shipment but the next batch to go out will be much larger.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...art-meat-thermometer-food-technology#/updates

Guess we'll see how these do out in the wild. I'm certainly not in this first pool of backers, but hopefully I'll be part of the next shipment. Excited that this product is finally coming to fruition, especially with so many people being so negative about it.

Yep. Can't wait for one of the Brethren gets theirs and can report on it. Oh, and then I can't wait to get mine...

Back