THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I'm participating in my first Throwdown! This is exciting!

I have a lot of leftover home cured & smoked pastrami and I've always loved pastrami on a burger--introduced to me back in 1996 at Jasper's out in Rancho Cordova, CA ( http://www.jaspershamburgers.com/menu/ ).

So I decided to try something different and incorporate chopped up pastrami into the freshly ground beef. Hence the "implosion": juicy tender slices of pastrami laying on top of the burger implode through the cheese into the burger, leaving pastrami shrapnel within.

bef2io.jpg

Here is a bite shot revealing the pastrami fragments within the patties:

10qmfbl.jpg

Cooking process:

Sliced up some pastrami and chopped it (tendon from the clod was separated and tossed) :

2q9jfuu.jpg

Bits were incorporated into freshly ground beef and made into patties :

282dgyr.jpg

Rubbed them down with my go to rub--equal portions of salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika:

17qwxv.jpg

Fired up the GMG Davy Crockett to 180F and smoked the burgers for 30 minutes:

fa0uwg.jpg

Got the Hasty Bake Fired up :

1z4v6rq.jpg

Now to wait.. hrm time for a beverage:

2ai0oyc.jpg

Sliced up some pastrami and did a quick braise/steam with a couple tablespoons of water:

4tshmf.jpg

After 30 minutes in the Davy Crockett (smoking at 180F) :

2n6groy.jpg

Threw them on the Hasty Bake and started grilling :

ve7l2s.jpg

Topped each burger with Swiss cheese and threw on the buns :
28hlbw0.jpg

Brought in the finished burgers and buns:

k0h8pi.jpg

Then I assembled them, from bottom to top: bottom bun, mayo, mustard, burger, Swiss cheese, 2 layers pastrami, burger, Swiss cheese, 2 layers pastrami, onion, tomato, lettuce, mustard, mayo, top bun.

Served with homemade skin on kettle potato chips, seasoned with the same rub I used on the burgers; along with some sliced dill pickles.

bef2io.jpg

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Wow. That is one impressive looking sandwich. Now tomorrow when I cook my corned beef I may feel a little let down after seeing this. Great job.

Wow that looks awesome! :thumb:
I think I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow night.
What do you think of adding sauerkraut and some russian dressing to make it like a reuben burger???

Wow that looks awesome! :thumb:
I think I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow night.
What do you think of adding sauerkraut and some russian dressing to make it like a reuben burger???

I seriously thought about doing that--spent some time thinking about it; it sounds really good.

But I guess I wanted to keep it more of a typical burger with lettuce, tomato and onion--things not usually in a Reuben. I went with Swiss cheese -- so I borrowed that from the Reuben at least (complements the pastrami well). And I definitely put mustard in it because a good pastrami sandwich has mustard in it. Also Jasper's Pastrami Burger (in California back 18 years ago when I ate it) had mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato & onion.

I like both ideas! :) I'll take em both. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

Last edited:
Back