Double Pastrami Implosion Burger w/ Swiss Cheese -- Farking Throwdown

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I'm participating in my first Throwdown! This is exciting!

I have a lot of leftover home cured & smoked pastrami and I've always loved pastrami on a burger--introduced to me back in 1996 at Jasper's out in Rancho Cordova, CA ( http://www.jaspershamburgers.com/menu/ ).

So I decided to try something different and incorporate chopped up pastrami into the freshly ground beef. Hence the "implosion": juicy tender slices of pastrami laying on top of the burger implode through the cheese into the burger, leaving pastrami shrapnel within.

bef2io.jpg

Here is a bite shot revealing the pastrami fragments within the patties:

10qmfbl.jpg

Cooking process:

Sliced up some pastrami and chopped it (tendon from the clod was separated and tossed) :

2q9jfuu.jpg

Bits were incorporated into freshly ground beef and made into patties :

282dgyr.jpg

Rubbed them down with my go to rub--equal portions of salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika:

17qwxv.jpg

Fired up the GMG Davy Crockett to 180F and smoked the burgers for 30 minutes:

fa0uwg.jpg

Got the Hasty Bake Fired up :

1z4v6rq.jpg

Now to wait.. hrm time for a beverage:

2ai0oyc.jpg

Sliced up some pastrami and did a quick braise/steam with a couple tablespoons of water:

4tshmf.jpg

After 30 minutes in the Davy Crockett (smoking at 180F) :

2n6groy.jpg

Threw them on the Hasty Bake and started grilling :

ve7l2s.jpg

Topped each burger with Swiss cheese and threw on the buns :
28hlbw0.jpg

Brought in the finished burgers and buns:

k0h8pi.jpg

Then I assembled them, from bottom to top: bottom bun, mayo, mustard, burger, Swiss cheese, 2 layers pastrami, burger, Swiss cheese, 2 layers pastrami, onion, tomato, lettuce, mustard, mayo, top bun.

Served with homemade skin on kettle potato chips, seasoned with the same rub I used on the burgers; along with some sliced dill pickles.

bef2io.jpg

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Wow. That is one impressive looking sandwich. Now tomorrow when I cook my corned beef I may feel a little let down after seeing this. Great job.

Wow that looks awesome! :thumb:
I think I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow night.
What do you think of adding sauerkraut and some russian dressing to make it like a reuben burger???

Wow that looks awesome! :thumb:
I think I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow night.
What do you think of adding sauerkraut and some russian dressing to make it like a reuben burger???

I seriously thought about doing that--spent some time thinking about it; it sounds really good.

But I guess I wanted to keep it more of a typical burger with lettuce, tomato and onion--things not usually in a Reuben. I went with Swiss cheese -- so I borrowed that from the Reuben at least (complements the pastrami well). And I definitely put mustard in it because a good pastrami sandwich has mustard in it. Also Jasper's Pastrami Burger (in California back 18 years ago when I ate it) had mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato & onion.

I like both ideas! :) I'll take em both. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

Last edited:
Back