do you use lighter fluid?

Do you use lighter fluid?

• Total voters
There is no reason to use fluid if you have a chimney.

I use my chimney on top of a lit single burner camp stove. Take about 5 mins to ensure it is lit and then I turn off the stove and let the coal come up to temp and then cook.

I also love the little weber cubes of _______ (napalm maybe?). :shock: Whatever it is, it works excellent.

There is no reason to use a chimney if you have a weed burner.

There is no reason to use a chimney if you have a weed burner.

I don't own a weed burner.

The reason I said that is because someone earlier in this post said they use fluid in their chimney. Seems to defeat the purpose of the chimney.

Maybe not just offering another side......:rolleyes:

I have made many a great meal on my Weber, Chicken and Pork Steaks in particular. Using Kingsford and Lighter fluid. Key is to let it burn off completely and use it sparingly. :bolt:

The use of lighter fluid to start coals is a crime against the very nature of BBQ and should be severely punished.

I only use a chimney, before I was enlighten I did use lighter fluid. I get a kick out of some of you saying your Dad used lighter fluid, my dad used Gasoline. I would always love watching the mini explosion every time he would BBQ. That was in the 50's and gas was cheap. He would use it for everything from cleaning paint brushes to washing his hand with it to remove grease and oil.

I only use a chimney with a starter cube. I have memories (mental scars) of my dad and large quantities of lighter fluid being used and the giant flames that ensued. Something about the smell...

I like to soak my matchlight overnight in lighter fluid:doh:....................

Seriously I don't even use my chimney much anymore the bernzomatic torch with mapp gas is the ticket:thumb:.

For quick fast starts, I use alcohol. Burns fast and clean. Other than that, I use a chimney with oiled paper.

It stinks. Don't do it. Nobody does in comp.

Not entirely true. I've smelled it out there after dark. I've also hung around with a team that uses it every time they fire up their Jambo. As said in this thread....Myron uses it.

Me? I've never even bought any. Never used it and don't plan to.
Just no need, IMHO. Chimney starter gets used most often here. I've also used the propane handheld torch to light coals in the offset before too.

I only use lighter cubes or a chimney starter anymore.

What do you use to light up an oak wood?i saw that episode too and i use lighter fluid.but i dont know if my meat tasted like LF?maybe we just got used to it?hehe

I just bought a chimney recently, and love it, but don't love the newspaper ash. Bought some of the Weber "Fire starter" cubes, and love them. I just let them burn completely away, and I don't notice any "off" flavor. However, I have used many a quart of lighter fluid,(forty years of grillin) and found that some brands always leave a taste, I don't care how long you let the charcoal burn. Usually, they are the "cheap" brands. I have used Kingsford lighter fluid for years (until I got my chimney), and as noted, I just let the charcoal burn a little longer, and "voila"....no lighter fluid taste..or smell.

However.... YMMV....

BTW....my Weber chimney instructions said do NOT use lighter fluid in the chimney, but yet, I believe I read where a few are using lighter fluid in their chimneys..... Hmmmmm...

SteveT

Skip the cubes. drizzle some veggie oil on the paper and you will virtually eliminate all problems. :cool:

And for even faster and cooler coal starting, get a weed burner. 5 min. and your grilling at 350.

Skip the cubes. drizzle some veggie oil on the paper and you will virtually eliminate all problems. :cool:

And for even faster and cooler coal starting, get a weed burner. 5 min. and your grilling at 350.

Already have one, but never thought about using it to start charcoal!!...

SteveT

In the past yes then I learned the right way. I use to put a little olive oil on news paper in the chimney. Now I use a torch for the offset and oil and paper towels/fire starters for the egg

Back