do you use lighter fluid?

Do you use lighter fluid?

• Total voters
Personally I don't use lighter fluid but also don't believe the hooey about tasting it on the meat (unless you're using matchlite). I just don't use it because It seems like the charcoal burns down to ash much faster when I've used it in the past in my kettle doing burgers, steaks, dogs..whatever.

Just curious, but about the Egg used on Pitmasters that had lighter fluid used in it...will the smell eventually burn off, or is that egg "ruined"? Sorry if this is a stupid question :icon_blush:

Personally I don't use lighter fluid but also don't believe the hooey about tasting it on the meat (unless you're using matchlite). I just don't use it because It seems like the charcoal burns down to ash much faster when I've used it in the past in my kettle doing burgers, steaks, dogs..whatever.

I second your opinion on it not messing up the taste of the meat. I don't use it on a regular basis, I use the chimney. BUT I will, when I am lazy, spray down the left overs of Lump from a previous cook with it to start it for a quick cook that won't require the Minion Method.

There I admitted it, and I feel better for it! :becky:

I can see using it for a hot and fast style cook after it has bruned off, but not for low and slow imho.

I also use a mapp torch or propane with a weed burner to start the lump in my bubba keg.

Of course, with my new(ish) pellet pooper I just flip the switch. Kinda feels like cheating sometimes.

chimney only with veg. oil soaked paper towels , and set it on the side burner of my Weber Genesis , and crank it up! NEVER fails!:clap2:

Usually only when I'm burning a structure for money.

Yep I use lighter fluid, a chimney and a weed burner, I like to share the wealth. Just depends on the mood and what cooking instrument I'm using. Something about a charcoal fire started with LF, reminds me of my Dad.

Well, neither poll option fits me. I generally do not use lighter fluid, but there are times when I do. If that is what is available at the time, or for making a big fire, like in one of those big park grills that hold a whole bag of charcoal, I use lighter fluid.

I general use a chimney, but with a parafin cube instead of paper. Especially now, with the drought making Texas a giant tinder box.

CD

I used to.... Pre Brethren :-D. Now I only use my Weber chimney and the side burner on the gasser.:thumb:

Lighter fluid is a great degreaser for cleaning guns and reels. I have never been able to taste it but some people claim to.

i used it loooooong ago like most. as soon as i heard about the chimney that was it. but its funny how if we smell it in the air we start to salivate !

Use the Performer to light a chimney of lump whether its for the Performer or the WSM.:thumb:

I put a little behind my ears before I go out on weekends.

Chicks dig it. :thumb:

The last time I used lighter fluid was when I changed grips on my golf clubs. As a solvent is the only proper use, IMO.

Mapp Torch - 20 second torch on the lump and back inside where it's cool!

ABSOLUTLEY NOT!!! I only use a chimney for the kettle or the brick pit and I built a log lighter that uses propane for my big RF smoker... Lighter fluid is only good for putting new golf grips on your clubs!!!!:-D

All I use is 3 -4 pieces of newspaper crumbled up in the bottom of my chimney. Never have to worry about a foul taste or the neighborhood knowing you are BBQing again.

There is no reason to use fluid if you have a chimney.

I use my chimney on top of a lit single burner camp stove. Take about 5 mins to ensure it is lit and then I turn off the stove and let the coal come up to temp and then cook.

I also love the little weber cubes of _______ (napalm maybe?). :shock: Whatever it is, it works excellent.

Back