What Temp do you cook your chops to

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I normally cook my chops to 148-149ish and we have always eaten them at that temp. Tonight grilling bbq chops on the Kettle and hit that same temp sauced and brought them in. We waited approximately 20 minutes to eat. The wife said they weren't cooked enough the texture was spongy. I did notice the texture she was talking about, but it didn't bother me. So I got to thinking how high do you take your chops I will post a pic of the inside of the chops. What are your thoughts? What could cause different texture? Maybe probe was off?
7bac27593a1d46493565686feb09fa1d.jpg
709de0ff8f8c5ee4c541489fccf8f809.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

I cooked pork loin,not tenderloin for one of my Dad’s trail rides.Everybody loved it but him.He said “ you could have cooked it a little longer”.I replied,” yes sir,I could have and it would not be fit to eat” After everybody told him how much they enjoyed it he admitted it was the tastiest pork loin he had ever eaten but he still thought it needed cooking more!

Wife refuses to eat meat thats pink no matter what type, smoked is ok, aint no retraining her,been many a steak sent back for more charring :cry:

Is it possible the chops you cooked were "enhanced"? That would explain the odd texture. I'd personally never cook lean pork past 140F if I can help it. Carryover takes them to a safe 145F. It only takes like 3 minutes at 137F to kill all the little critters. I recommend a blindfolded taste test for people who are scared of pink pork.

Is it possible the chops you cooked were "enhanced"? That would explain the odd texture. I'd personally never cook lean pork past 140F if I can help it. Carryover takes them to a safe 145F. It only takes like 3 minutes at 137F to kill all the little critters. I recommend a blindfolded taste test for people who are scared of pink pork.

I'll second this comment. I can't stand "enhanced" pork because of the mushy texture. It's possible that's what the OP was cooking. It hardly looked pink at all in the picture. It certainly wasn't undercooked; if anything, it was a little over.

I'll agree on never taking lean pork past 140F. However, blade chops and the sirloin chops at the very back end of the loin can benefit from higher temps, which help render the fat and connective tissue in those stringier cuts.

Back