Do ya'll usually make your own spice rubs/mops or buy store pre made?

Both

I like to try stuff and making it yourself is rewarding and in my case necessary as some of the ones I like have msg and I have family members allergic to msg. It is also fun to find an ingredient that makes your rub better!

I usually make my own. There are tons of great commercial rubs too. Some of the recipes I find are unique and not available commercially. As for sauces, I do not like most store bought sauces. That is just me.

I have a rub that goes great on pork and poultry but I don't think it'll do well on beef. I'm smoking a brisket flat this weekend that I'll likely just use salt and pepper on. As for sauces, again I make my own in general that has a bit of heat but sometimes for some sweetness, I just grab some Sweet Baby Ray's.

What's the difference between "flavor profile" and "taste"?

I've played around with some store bought rubs and made some rubs myself but most of the time I fall back on salt, black pepper, and some red pepper or chipotle. Let the meat and the smoke do the talking.

I have cupboards and cabinets full of commercial rubs and seasoning mixes that I use in my own cooking.

Butts and Brisket get my custom Wyocena Yacht Club competition rubs. Just mixed up a huge batch of pork rub for the butts I'm doing this weekend.

For chicken, I use a rub called Backyard BBQ that I pick up at a grocery store on the Northwest side of Dothan, AL when we drive through every two years or so.

As far as sauces, I'm partial to Big Butz sauces made in Siren, WI. The Hot sauce is fantastic with my pork, and the No Butz is freaking great on everything.

I do classic SPOG for brisket, ribs get John Henry's East Texas Pecan rub, pork shoulder get Lambert's Sweet Rub O Mine and chicken gets Adkins Western bbq rub. I have made Magic Dust, it's pretty good. I have tried many rubs that are way too salty, Yardbird comes to mind! :) I usually doctor up the rubs with a touch of cayenne and cumin. For sauce I like KC Masterpiece and Bullseye.mixed 50/50, or Head Country Hickory.

I do both. I have a pork rub recipe that I make that I'm pretty happy with but don't have one dialed in for beef yet so I just use Montreal style steak seasoning most of the time.

That said, when I buy a rub or sauce I read the label. If it has anything weird, or high fructose corn syrup in it I won't buy it.

I like to make my own but I buy the Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria steak seasoning, I love it on turkey and chicken.

I've tried making my own. But that being said I can't make a flavor profile like my favorite Simply Marvelous rubs. I use 4 of them on ribs, plus BPS Money Rub. 2 of them on pork butts that I inject with Mad Hunkey Meats Pork Brine in apple juice. Brisket is always Oak Ridge Black Ops Rub and injected with Kosmo's Grand Reserve.

These rubs/injections have never done me wrong and are consistent.

Mix my own rubs.

Vinegar finishing sauce (for shoulder) is homemade since it's only 3 or 4 ingredients.

Other sauces were usually doctored-up store bought, but have been leaning toward more homemade sauces this summer.

I mix my own. Comes out cheaper for me in the long run.

Agreed, too many rub recipes out there not to make em. I made Franklins recipe for sauce and tweaked it a little (thinned with more vinegar and beer) and I don't know if I will ever buy a sauce again.

I stopped making my own rub when I found Oakridge through the Brethren.

We still have a full stock of seasonings and spices and use them regular but have been very happy with Oakridge products

Try the sampler https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/vip-sample-rub-8-pack/

It is a great deal and chance to try 8 different rubs at a very low cost.

Don't mop very often and don't sauce often either. When I do I start with Sweet baby Rays and make it my own

i buy mine kosher salt & tones course black pepper, slap ya momma oh almost forgot sugar & mccormick season all.
good bbq don't need no sauce but i do give my pig meat a healthy dose of inner beauty habenaro hot sauce on occasion i not because it needs it i really like the sauce.

+ 1

I make my own, primarily because I've read that most commercial rubs are at least 50% salt. Salt is cheap, and there is a significant savings in making your own rubs at least. Besides, I enjoy it as part of the process.

Back