Are direct heat cookers the next “big” thing?

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
In my research of trying to decide between the Bronco Pro & Hasty Bake Roughneck I’m seeing a few new direct heat cookers from pit builders. Seems like either I wasn’t paying much attention to the category or people are starting to ask builders for these cookers. So, are these new (old) direct heat cookers the latest fad or just the same old same old refreshed for new buyers?

What’s the difference between a drum & these direct heat cookers, which do you prefer & why? Finally, I’m not talking about Santa Maria grills (that seems to be its own fad although live fire cooking is as old as man itself) but cookers like the Chud Box, Roughneck, Hot Box, Cen-Tex cookers, etc.

I have a Royale BBQ Fabrication hill country/direct heat cooker - have had for about 6 months - love the taste of the food that comes off of it

Seems like in the last 6 to 8 months quite a few of the Texas pit builders have come out with some version - I assume do to ease of building ???

I have never cooked on a drum - but one big difference folks have mentioned is the fact you can add fuel without removing the grates, etc

Mine allows me to do direct heat cooks, indirect cooks (if i insert the baffle plate), and high heat cooks if I move my basket up to the 2nd level - I also had them build me a griddle, as well as a hanging system for sausages

Found it to be a fun way to cook - that gives a different taste than what I get off my offset

Ugh

I have a Royale BBQ Fabrication hill country/direct heat cooker - have had for about 6 months - love the taste of the food that comes off of it

Seems like in the last 6 to 8 months quite a few of the Texas pit builders have come out with some version - I assume do to ease of building ???

I have never cooked on a drum - but one big difference folks have mentioned is the fact you can add fuel without removing the grates, etc

Mine allows me to do direct heat cooks, indirect cooks (if i insert the baffle plate), and high heat cooks if I move my basket up to the 2nd level - I also had them build me a griddle, as well as a hanging system for sausages

Found it to be a fun way to cook - that gives a different taste than what I get off my offset

Awww....dammit....why'd ya have to go and show all that.

I JUST spent a bunch of money.....gotta save more now...haha.

Between camera gear and smokers/grills...I'm gonna be destitute and on the street..

(but I'll be well fed and can send pics to prove it).

;)

cayenne

That is one nice cooker! I love direct cooking. It was the way I was brought up cooking on a grill. It definitely does embark a different taste on the food (especially leftovers). There is no other way to cook bbq chicken than high heat direct cooking that gives you delicious crispy skin. Now I am hungry.

"The wsm does a great job with this."

Yep, direct cook, smoke, grill, slow or fast....and you can add fuel rather easily...

and,,, can find good used ones for a hundred bucks or so

Hang some meat in Pit Barrel Cooker, hanging kit for WSM's and other bullets. UDS remove deflector and let it drip.Growing up working summers in oilfield welders and shops had Ranch Boxes, Pumpers had tabletops welder to their rigs. All direct fire. The concept and engineering has been around a very long time. What "new engineering" has accomplished is you don't have to dig a ditch or use a shovel.

I'd still use a shovel. Real BBQ requires a shovel..

Find and locate the massive PBC Appreciation Thread. Lots of comments on direct cooking

To my taste direct fire cooking tastes best. Hope you get what you're looking at. Those look awesome

Went over to Chuds BBQ site looks like ChudBox up to 2K. No mention of Miles Coburn (cockburn). No mention of any pits I saw other than ChudBox.

Last edited:
Me and Mister Chud are on the outs for the time being - it's not me- it's him. I was watching something about his mini-chud box and he was pointing out the difference between his direct fire cooker and other cookers. I was ok until he got to his cooker vs UDS :the uds is not as good or versatile. Do what? I can do on my 30 gallon anything he can do on his $2K chud box except add fuel... big freekin' whoop. Maybe me and him will be ok one day- but for now, I'm not returning his calls :-D

In my opinion the answer to your question is yes.I was around for the BGE fad,the Offset fad ,the pellet pooper fad,now it is Direct Heat is the “”Go To”.Just my opinion.I like them all and each has its place,depending on your needs/ wants.The ONLY one I do not currently own is a pellet cooker but that may change too.Who knows?

In my opinion the answer to your question is yes.I was around for the BGE fad,the Offset fad ,the pellet pooper fad,now it is Direct Heat is the “”Go To”.Just my opinion.I like them all and each has its place,depending on your needs/ wants.The ONLY one I do not currently own is a pellet cooker but that may change too.Who knows?

I had the PBC and WSM at the same time. Man I got slammed here for extolling the virtues of ThE PBC. Others as well. Some of them departed the forum. I've hung around. Was scolded by Corporate for antagonizing, then .... well anyway, I'm still here. I've been here long enough now I enjoy seeing what everyone cooks, how they prep and how it's photographed. This forum will provide an education, as well get your feelings tested, and allow everyone to participate in that process.

It's an 8 lane highway, not a one way Street.

Life's short brother, get you a plug and play.

Back