Cracker Barrel Meatloaf

I was surprised by two full sleeves of crackers in only 1.5 lbs of beef. I guess the milk helps. will have to try.

I saw another nearly identical knockoff CB ML recipe that specified 32 Ritz Crackers. I have an Italian relative by marriage and he gave up his Gramma Meatball recipe from the old country. milk and bread. So milk isn't unusual to me, but yes I was surprised by Ritz and amount too

From Cracker Barrel's menu:

Our special recipe Meatloaf with tomatoes, onions and green peppers. Served with hand-rolled Buttermilk Biscuits or Corn Muffins.

Can’t wait for meatloaf weather - this heat is taking its toll on my will to fire up the offset

I make this one but I omit the bell pepper 'cause my wife doesn't like them.

Cracker-Barrel-Meatloaf-Recipe.png

I more than half thought this might have fritos in it. But I see that is a thing, and even was back in 1955. I wonder how that would be. This recipe seems to have a bit much onion for 1 lbs of meat.

Classic Fritos Meat Loaf (1955)

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder
1-1/2 cups crushed Fritos
1 cup canned tomatoes

Mix the beef, egg, onion, garlic, seasonings and crushed Fritos corn chips together. Form into a loaf, and place in oiled baking dish.

Pour tomatoes over the loaf, and bake at 300 degrees for one hour.

(Origin - "Fritos Pie - Stories, Recipes, and More" by Kaleta Doolin, published by Texas A&M University Press, 2011)

http://www.lostamericanrecipes.com/2017/04/classic-fritos-meat-loaf-1955.html

I more than half thought this might have fritos in it. But I see that is a thing, and even was back in 1955. I wonder how that would be. This recipe seems to have a bit much onion for 1 lbs of meat.

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder
1 cup canned tomatoes

Mix the beef, egg, onion, garlic, seasonings and crushed Fritos corn chips together. Form into a loaf, and place in oiled baking dish.

(Origin - "Fritos Pie - Stories, Recipes, and More" by Kaleta Doolin, published by Texas A&M University Press, 2011)

Too much onion, and too much salt. There's already tons of salt in fritos.

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder
1 cup canned tomatoes

Have you ever even had Cracker Barrel's meatloaf?

I have a Meatloaf recipe that I'm very proud of. But always cool to see what others are doing. The glaze looks simple yet tasty as an easy sauce. Thanks for sharing.

I've not had Cracker Barrel meatloaf. I'm leery of ordering meatloaf in restaurants. lol I know, I should be more adventurous!

I've not had Cracker Barrel meatloaf. I'm leery of ordering meatloaf in restaurants. lol I know, I should be more adventurous!

Their Chicken Pot Pie was ok. I was never a fan of Cracker Barrel. Bob Evans put Cracker Barrel to shame. Bob Evans open Faced pot roast with garlic mash was to die for. Side order of there rolls and potato cheddar soup was the bomb.

Been using this recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions for years. It's very good but too much cream to soak the bread crumbs so cut back on that. Ritz crackers would probably work fine in place of the crumbs. Don't like ketchup/glaze so I skip that.

The recipe is for the oven. For the smoker, I like adding some diced jalapeno to the saute

meatlo10.jpg

Just found these today. Think they'd be better than Ritz in meatloaf.

gardet10.jpg

Those are one of my favorite snacks. I used to pick them out of snack mix and leave the rest till they started selling them seperately. That said, those would be a pain in the @ss to crush up.

I have a Meatloaf recipe that I'm very proud of. But always cool to see what others are doing. The glaze looks simple yet tasty as an easy sauce. Thanks for sharing.

Care to share the recipe? Always looking to broaden my horizons.

Along with the bread crumbs, Ritz crackers, Fritos etc, What about Chicken in a Biscuit? Or how about Cheezits? Many different flavors and if you pre-smoked the Cheezits... Hmmm:idea::tongue::faint:. As flavors come and go, for a while they had a chili cheese flavored Cheezits that I particularly liked. Wish they would bring that one back.

Robert

Last edited:
Back