THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't think it matters for the typical BBQ meats like butts, briskets, chuck, ribs, etc. But, for some meats the results are better at a specific temp range. poultry, for example, is much better at higher temps, and a rib roast is better at lower temps, IMHO.

I'm a believer in letting the smoker cook at the temp range that it prefers. Almost every cooker has a temperature where it just seems to be in the zone. Figure that out and don't fight it just to cook at a specific temperature.

I think that Ron has pretty much hit it on the head with his answer. The only thing that I will add is that some of the cuts with higher fat content will benefit from a lower and slower approach (IMO) in order to render more of the fat out and add tenderness to the meat. As Ron points out though, higher temps with poultry is a good idea since getting smoke into a chicken or turkey is pretty easy (they absorb smoke quickly) and you're trying to get crispy / bite-through skin as well.:-D

Back