THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
My name is Nate and I have been smoking for about 3 years. I have a confession that may get me kicked off this forum. I really don't care for the flavor of either Hickory or Mesquite. When I smoke it is almost always with fruit wood. I use mainly a mixture of apple and pecan.

I was born in TX and don't like mesquite, not really a fan of hickory either. Pecan, oak and fruit wood for me too.

Nate,
Based on your username I can safely assume you are a Packer fan and because of that I vote you can stay no matter what type of wood you smoke with! :clap2:

Our house is pretty partial to apple, cherry and pecan but we do go to mesquite for beef sometimes, especially if we are going to pull it for enchiladas.

I like the fruits best also. But I use the AMNPS, and sometimes the fruit pellets don't burn as well so I have to mix some hickory.

I'm a weird Texan, I like hickory and that's about it. Not a fan of pecan or mesquite, the smoke just smells funny to me. Apple isn't bad but too mild, I prefer a bolder smoke flavor even on poultry.

I'm was born and raised in Texas and I never use mesquite. I may use a little hickory on brisket but prefer pecan and oak. For pork I like pecan, apple and cherry. I vote that you can stay even though you are a Packer's fan.:crazy:

I could be wrong here, but I think pecan is just a type of Hickory. Although I do think Pecan smoke is less harsh than most "hickories".

Pecan ( Carya illinoensis )

Carya – typical hickories

Carya glabra = common names are pignut, sweet pignut, coast pignut hickory, smoothbark hickory, swamp hickory, and broom hickory

I believe it is Chris Lily that reccomends Pignut Hickory.

I go with pecan, because this part of Oklahoma is overloaded with them, so the wood is cheap to buy. I've enjoyed apple. Hickory seems fine as well. I want to try more woods :) I want to try mesquite again for grilling.. I used it one time years ago when I didn't know anything about bbq and liked it with my new york steaks.

Pecan and apple are my go-to's. Cherry I love also, but it's not as easy to come by around here. Mesquite I could take or leave on most days. I don't hate it, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Back