THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I always thought Mesquite was too overpowering. I started off with oak and hickory, but now I use hickory, cherry, apple and peach. My apple and peach supplier has black cherry. Has anyone ever used it? :confused:

I could be wrong here, but I think pecan is just a type of Hickory. Although I do think Pecan smoke is less harsh than most "hickories".

I find it interesting that you put hickory and mesquite in the same bucket... Hickory and Pecan are very similar species, with much the same type and flavor of smoke. I use them interchangeably depending on what my wood guy has on hand. Mesquite, in my mind, has always been associated with grilling, as it doesn't take long to impart an intense smoke flavor. Too intense for smoking.

Also, I am wondering if you local hickory is of a different species or variety that causes such an unpleasant flavor (I have heard mention of a "skunk" hickory). The other though would be green wood.

Also, I am a stick burner, so that has some impact as well.

Indeed. Smoke don't matter tree wise, jus' long 's there's smoke, period. :thumb:

Having said that, being born and growing up in North Alabama, hickory is in my blood. :becky: I also like mesquite and oak. Oh, and I was fortunate enough to get a very nice box of citrus woods when I was a newish member, from my friend Aquablue22. LOVE citrus. And I'm forever thankful, Ken.

When I use pecan I usually mix it with a fruit wood and I typically use 2/3 fruitwood and 1/3 pecan. Where I am at we have apple and cherry orchards and it is plentiful. There maybe something to the skunk hickory because every time I have used it, it has given the meat a very bitter flavor.

I just scored a long term supply of cherry from a local guy that will cut to whatever size I need. I am with you.

Honestly I like it all. Sometimes I just get a hankering for some Mesquite, but I must admit I use that one the least out of available choices.
Fruit wood is something that I don't really notice much of a difference in. I like fruit wood, but I've never been able to blind taste test and go, "Oh, is that peach?!" I can just basically tell it was smoked with fruit wood. Because of this I'll just use whatever.

Back