Competition rub question

j $
what did you not like about it
I have hit using his Gold and rib rub and scratch

I also use Smoke on wheels marinade for my chicken as brining
plowboys yardbird and bovine has done me well also as well as fin and feather

Sounds like your all over the place trying different this and different that. I don't wanna cast any stones, but it's easy to cover up bad or decent BBQ with a good sauce. There was a flavor(s) that I didn't care for too much in the rub. To me it tasted like a mixture of chicken bouillion powder, celery salt, some type of coffee and chile powder. I did not care for it, that doesn't mean that someone else won't love it.
I will give you 2 guesses which one is the chicken scratch bird.
A0D579D8-34AE-43A3-9658-F9C7D9399A11-3392-00000588281D290C.jpg

It was voted unanimously by 6 people who all do comps, the worst of the 3. All the others were devoured. I been Cookin with these guys for years, and at this moment we all use the same 3 base seasonings doctored to the profile we want.
We don't do super major cookoffs, but we have beaten some big name teams including orange maple and canterberry. Every town has a ringer though, and we have beaten them at one point over the years. We have also been wrung out like a wash cloth by them. We have never cooked BBQ ever! Only gotten bad judges :crazy: lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all over the place I cook for the area I cook at is all some judges like different flavor profiles than others I do more ibca lsbs cooks than kcbs so big difference as im cooking for joe smo off the street versus certified judges I know what works in my area and I stick to it is all

Sounds like your all over the place trying different this and different that. I don't wanna cast any stones, but it's easy to cover up bad or decent BBQ with a good sauce. There was a flavor(s) that I didn't care for too much in the rub. To me it tasted like a mixture of chicken bouillion powder, celery salt, some type of coffee and chile powder. I did not care for it, that doesn't mean that someone else won't love it.
I wi give you 2 guesses which one is the chicken scratch bird.
It was voted unanimously by 6 people who all do comps, the worst of the 3. All the others were devoured. I been Cookin with these guys for years, and at this moment we all use the same 3 base seasonings doctored to the profile we want.
We don't do super major cookoffs, but we have beaten some big name teams including orange maple and canterberry. Every town has a ringer though, and we have beaten them at one point over the years. We have also been wrung out like a wash cloth by them. We have never cooked BBQ ever! Only gotten bad judges :crazy: lol
jmoney...was it the Chicken Scratch or Texas Chicken Scratch?......theres a huge difference in flavors....

Not all over the place I cook for the area I cook at is all some judges like different flavor profiles than others I do more ibca lsbs cooks than kcbs so big difference as im cooking for joe smo off the street versus certified judges I know what works in my area and I stick to it is all

Yeah, I wish alot of the sanctioning bodies in tx had certified judges. It really bothers me when I see little kids 16 under that wanna judge. I was at a cookoff once to judge finals tables where a few good winning teams were at, there were some young punks I had removed in there. They were talking about how thee were in there for a free meal and was just gonna give everyone the same score.
The rub was Texas chicken scratch by redneck cooker purchased from randy @texas pellets. He recommended to me so I tried it.

Yeah, I wish alot of the sanctioning bodies in tx had certified judges. It really bothers me when I see little kids 16 under that wanna judge. I was at a cookoff once to judge finals tables where a few good winning teams were at, there were some young punks I had removed in there. They were talking about how thee were in there for a free meal and was just gonna give everyone the same score.
The rub was Texas chicken scratch by redneck cooker purchased from randy @texas pellets. He recommended to me so I tried it.
So I guess thats why My Tx Chicken Scratch and the rest of my line of rubs are used by most all of the top winning cooks in Texas....and just as many of the top cooks in KCBS?......but sorry you didn't like it .....I hope Texas never gets so called CBJ's..If you need/want all CBJ's then go cook all KCBS....I cook both and have been very successful in both arenas...If you cant cook comp bbq and win with Joe Q Public judging than maybe its your flavor profile thats bad and not our judges.:crazy:......just a few points for you to ponder..... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

i am a big fan of dizzy pig, bone suckin rub, and have a few others for touch-up work. on chicken i like both the DP Tsunami Spin and the bone suckin for chicken. On ribs i like the DP swamp venom with a good base of plain salt and pepper. for brisket i am still in the infant stage so i am mostly doing salt and pepper since i can't get the damn thing to cook right anyway! :icon_blush:

my current theory on saucing is a few points:

1) any spice needs to be ground very very fine so it doesn't feel gritty
2) if there are priority flavors i want to pull out i make sure they go into the sauce somehow, either through powder or whole (soaking)
3) if it tastes just right for eating it isn't bold enough for judging

Last edited by a moderator:
i am a big fan of dizzy pig, bone suckin rub, and have a few others for touch-up work. on chicken i like both the DP Tsunami Spin and the bone suckin for chicken. On ribs i like the DP swamp venom with a good base of plain salt and pepper. for brisket i am still in the infant stage so i am mostly doing salt and pepper since i can't get the damn thing to cook right anyway! :icon_blush:

my current theory on saucing is a few points:

1) any spice needs to be ground very very fine so it doesn't feel gritty
2) if there are priority flavors i want to pull out i make sure they go into the sauce somehow, either through powder or whole (soaking)
3) if it tastes just right for eating it isn't bold enough for judging

perfect point Gibble remember its one bit that its :biggrin1:

Mod Note:

This thread has been scrubbed of all off topic posts and rules violations. Keep it civil and on topic from here on out.

I heard the folks at Ritter's BBQ are setting up a new sanctioning body that will somewhat mimic KCBS. Not so much as in meat categories, but in judging.

As far as chicken rub, Big Ron's Hint of Houston works great.

Last edited:
I find that my placings in IBCA cooks and KCBS cooks are about the same. Trained or green judges will gravitate to good Q. As for rubs/sauce combos, you have to continual evolve with the judges palates.

Chicken needs to be moist and flavor to the bone.

Ribs need to be moist and fall off the bone tender.

And as mentioned, make 1 bite Q. And remember, they are cutting off their bites with a plastic knife and fork. Hit me up off line and I'll point you in the right direction. If you are on facebook, look me up (Ty Hillin), as I check it more often. Or send me a PM.

As has been discussed before, Texas is a big state and really has several flavor profiles depending where you are at. What works in central Tx may not work in deep south Tx. What works in deep south Tx may not work in Houston, west Tx is different too DFW flavors may be sweeter than central ect. ect. Experiment and see what works in your area and then tweak from there, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" lol.

As has been discussed before, Texas is a big state and really has several flavor profiles depending where you are at. What works in central Tx may not work in deep south Tx. What works in deep south Tx may not work in Houston, west Tx is different too DFW flavors may be sweeter than central ect. ect. Experiment and see what works in your area and then tweak from there, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" lol.

QTEX is right, shoot it can vary just going down the HWY a little bit. Volunteer to judge at a local comp, that will give you an idea of what people are turning in. Ask the head judge if you can sample the winning boxes, that will clue you in to what's winning. You'd be surprised.

Back