Tasteless rub?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I have some Rubs in my collection that are well beyond their use-by date. They've been is sealed jars, never opened. I opened them to taste test recently and one of them seems to be tasteless. The seal on this one may have been lacking, as the rub was clumped. I know that herbs and spices lose their potency with time so I'm wondering what it's supposed to taste like.

It's Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork rub. Can anyone tell me what it usually tastes like?

Last edited:
I have some pretty old rubs that were just stored in their shaker bottles in my pantry, that are not Oakridge BBQ, and never did I think they were "tasteless". I'm not claiming to have the most discerning palette out there but I can tell a slight difference from new, but there's still plenty of flavor. I have some Oakridge seasonings that are multiple years old at this point and they still taste good to me. Did you freeze the jars? I do recall Mike saying that's about the worst thing you could do - freeze a seasoning mix.

^^^^^ Good to know. Maybe I'll take his stuff (because I have lots of it) and just vac seal but not freeze.

I find that rubs that sit past their use by date become very salty flavored. I have tried keeping them in a refrigerator in my shop but that does not change things. Now I just throw them out if they start tasting too salty,

“Perfectly balanced sweet/ heat/ savory/ salty flavor profile with the bold aromas of chilies, cumin and celery in the front with the smoky sultry heat of chipotle peppers in the finish.”

Thanks for that. Knowing what to expect, I had another taste this time with a clean palate. I definitely get celery and heat. My tongue is still tingling lol.

I think the first taste was after 2-3 other rubs first without adequately cleaning my palate.

Back