Christmas Eve Dinner

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
I missed cooking. I don't cook often. So I got my first deer this past deer season. Decided to cook a backstrap for Christmas Eve. Stuffed with creme cheese, baby portobello mushrooms, onions, parsley, and crumbled bacon. Butterflied the backstrap and stuffed it and wrapped it up in bacon.
Used smokin hoggz rib rub. Recipe was originally a killer hoggs recipe but switched rubs as the store was out.
Merry Christmas Eve. I hope this works good. Smoking with cherry wood.
Just wanted this to be for a special occasion. I figure a family Christmas Eve dinner was perfect for using our backstrap.

Very special meal Rusty! The back strap from your first deer is awesome! Watch the temp on it close. It doesn’t have as much internal fat as beef and you want to stay med rare for sure.

On the grill with indirect cooking. Lump charcoal with cherry wood for smoke. No water pan. Too cold for water.

Christmas Eve dinner on the table.

The family. Tommy and Laynee and Robyn. I am behind the camera tonight.

The plate. Corn, potatoes, stuffed backstrap, stuffing, and a roll.

Great night with the family. Going to make this a tradition.
Really happy to spend Christmas Eve with my family.
Food was good and backstrap was great.

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks for following my threads in woodpile from the trail camera to the opening day thread to Christmas Eve dinner. It was a great deer season and great Christmas Eve. Really glad I got to share it all with you.
If you haven't hunted try it. I got into it pretty late in life and it is worth all the effort.

Thanks again for your help and for following along.
Merry Christmas!

Sounds and looks like a great day for you all. I miss hunting, just can't find anywhere. Sick of stuff getting stolen

That's unfortunate that some people are like that. I got minimal equipment. My trail camera did get messed with. I zip tied it to a tree and zip tied it shut. Easy to get past but seemed to keep folks honest after that. I also wrote my name and phone number on it in permanent marker. I heard sometimes folks would swipe them and trade them in at Cabela's. One guy online had put up he got his trail camera back from Cabela's since he did this.
I think the only reason my camera stayed was because I wrote my name on it. Probably looked like a kid did it lol.
I hunt public land so I get the concern over stuff being stolen. I have thought about a tree stand but heard some concerning stories about people removing straps that make it dangerous. Hunting on the ground is awesome. Safer too.
I think all season I left one trail camera. Rest of my stuff packed in a backpack and kept a more minimalist approach. I did get OnX. Keeps you safe from wandering onto private property by mistake.
Where I got the deer was on a trail on a hillside. Found a deer trail and went up hill about 20 yards and sat down on a log. Made sure to park my butt in front of some brush. Deer eye sight will only catch you if you move. Honestly, I was just using an old Woolrich hunting coat. Plaid breaks up your pattern like camo but I think movement is what gets you busted. I wore blue jeans and an old bbq sweatshirt and my Woolrich coat. Got a blaze orange vest and hat. Blue is supposed to spook deer. Didn't seem to phase them one bit.
Minimalist is essential for my shoe string budget but you could try it so you don't get stuff stolen. I even made my own scent control spray. Used a lot of it and got insanely close to deer.
I suppose my point is don't let some bad actors ruin it for you. Go minimalist and leave most of it home and mostly take what you can carry in and out easily.

Great cook, backstory, pics and post, Rusty. I really enjoyed following your hunting thread and was stoked for you when you bagged your deer. Thanks for sharing the pics of your Christmas Eve dinner with your family. You're a great husband and father!

Lotta soul went into this post and cook, Rusty. Thanks for sharing with us and hope you had a great Christmas!

Great cook. I have a hunting property that I can't seem to get to. Busy with a young family and work. I did recently get a back strap from a buddy and it was delicious. He lives in the city but has enough property to bow hunt.

What a great journey this thread finishes off.

Back