Chicken Skin - To Braise or not to Braise

I think crispy skin on thighs or quarters is a lot less complicated than many make it out to be... I started down the path of trying this and that but ultimately it seems to me that the skin just doesn’t get crisp until most of the connective tissue and fat has rendered off first.

I dont think the pit temp matters as much as the internal finish temp on the meat. I’ve had good success with nice crispy skin if I cook the bird to about 195+\- then raise the temp up about 100* and finish.

Have you guys ever tossed a full, sealed water bottle into a fire? The outer paper thin plastic doesn’t burn AT ALL until the water reaches boiling point and burst. Once the moisture escapes the plastic ignites quickly after. I really think it’s a similar situation with the chicken skin. Once the fat and connective tissue is gone the chicken skin will get crispy. This happens rapidly once the fat and connective tissue is gone so the finish requires a close watch

I hate chicken prep so much I went with legs in a butter bath only. Took a 1st place and have placed well a few times with that method. If you stay thighs I think you pretty much have to scrape IMHO.
Interesting.

Both points!

I've been leaning drums anyway. Definitely proven to be easier. I guess I just don't want to give up on delivering bite-through thighs without scraping, since so many seem to report their successes.

Thanks!

I think crispy skin on thighs or quarters is a lot less complicated than many make it out to be... I started down the path of trying this and that but ultimately it seems to me that the skin just doesn’t get crisp until most of the connective tissue and fat has rendered off first.

I dont think the pit temp matters as much as the internal finish temp on the meat. I’ve had good success with nice crispy skin if I cook the bird to about 195+\- then raise the temp up about 100* and finish.

Have you guys ever tossed a full, sealed water bottle into a fire? The outer paper thin plastic doesn’t burn AT ALL until the water reaches boiling point and burst. Once the moisture escapes the plastic ignites quickly after. I really think it’s a similar situation with the chicken skin. Once the fat and connective tissue is gone the chicken skin will get crispy. This happens rapidly once the fat and connective tissue is gone so the finish requires a close watch

I think you just nailed it and provided a great analogy.

For me though, there's too much variability in fat content under thigh skin. Any of us who have done chicken prep involving scraping know you get that thigh here and there that has a significant amount of fat just under the skin compared to most. When uniformity under a time crunch is what we're after that's no bueno.

Back