Charcuterie Thread

Yeah, I figured. I thought the picture would be a good idea for someone reading the thread that may not know.

Good looking boxes. I did the two MM presentation as well before I got out of the game. Seems like it always scored well.

Exactly! :laugh:

Well, I do know the basic recipe I used, and I'm pretty sure I used mostly Hot paprika, and maybe even added a little cayenne. I am pretty certain I went off book and added some extra stuff but I just can't remember what.

Also, I noticed something interesting. I cut into one at a lean spot, just no fat visible, and the flavor is crazy intense in the absence of fat. I've known that fat doesn't shed water like meat, and that it really doesn't take on flavors as readily either, but I never considered trying to cut the fat out of a salami. This recipe actually calls for extra fat added, so I will definitely be skipping that next time, and maybe try an experiment with some leaner cuts. I know it will dry a lot faster, but do you see any other downsides?

Exactly! :laugh:

Well, I do know the basic recipe I used, and I'm pretty sure I used mostly Hot paprika, and maybe even added a little cayenne. I am pretty certain I went off book and added some extra stuff but I just can't remember what.

Also, I noticed something interesting. I cut into one at a lean spot, just no fat visible, and the flavor is crazy intense in the absence of fat. I've known that fat doesn't shed water like meat, and that it really doesn't take on flavors as readily either, but I never considered trying to cut the fat out of a salami. This recipe actually calls for extra fat added, so I will definitely be skipping that next time, and maybe try an experiment with some leaner cuts. I know it will dry a lot faster, but do you see any other downsides?

Well i am relatively new at this and haven't done any gound meat sausage yet but the tenderloin i did came out pretty good for how lean it was.

Only took like 9 days in the chamber so good for experiments too

Ok.. so I didn't write this down. At all. Tastes spicy, definite notes of garlic and paprika. Visable black pepper and red pepper flakes. I'm guessing it's some spin on picante, but I honestly haven't a clue. Tastes good though, so that's a bonus. Molds are au natural, no spray.

Thought I'd share some Lonzino that went into the chamber today.

So I set to stuffing these things in the bung. I was wondering how bad it was going to smell, but was pleasantly surprised to find it having only the smell of sweet hay and pepsin. Didn't expect that after dealing with hog casings. Next concern was...is it really going to fit in there? A bit of convincing and it did go in with not too much fuss. Watched a video on how to tie a roast and proceeded to tie both of these up; turned out not too bad if I do say so myself. I did dose these with Mold-600, so now the waiting starts. Got the initial weights, freezer is running at 57° F and 80% RH. I should be good to go. I guess I'll weigh them ~3 days? Maybe a week? I'm probably not that patient to wait a week. I know I've got roughly a month or more ahead of me before they're ready.

Thanks! It was way less mysterious than I thought. No need to buy netting pretty much ever. Found a great video that made it simple:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIwbUBiRSE"]How to Tie a Roast with a String - YouTube[/ame]

So here's the progress so far on the Lonzino. Right at about 20% weight loss, been in the chamber 13 days. There's quite a bit more mold on the back, I just flipped them around. Should have got a picture then. Definitely smelling good in there. Don't mind all the water bottles...I've put those in there to add thermal mass to keep the freezer from cycling so often. It's about 5 gallons of water, so another 41 pounds of thermal mass. Appears to be working.

I started the curing chamber about the time this thread started. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.
013_zpsv3kkyr7c.jpg

012_zpsvy3yxprg.jpg

Last edited:
Started my first ever charcuterie a hot coppa. Took a nice pork butt and removed the money muscle.

3% salt
0.25% cure 2
0.5% black pepper
0.2% white pepper
2% chili powder
0.5% garlic powder

2.75" x 3.75" so figuring 13 days minimum cure, but most likely will go 3 weeks.

b1523528b73be62c2065275d96c9dfb6.jpg
4395846ae72a0dcc93b27d57fa7b8ca4.jpg
56ebee5db5a134a551b5c82243583335.jpg
53546833972f4859fd5cc29ae92a6f7a.jpg
785a8aad79b3d5bf4003073cd980160c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife is expecting and due around mid Nov. I'm hoping to have this done in that timeframe along with a few other smaller cuts that I will start later. Also hoping to have a batch or two of beer done by then as well!

Back