Charcuterie Thread

how do you know if it safe to eat?

It gets cured prior to hanging, hanging is really more for flavor development. ......if I understand your question correctly.

Should clarify the earlier statement, I understood the curing process, but not all the stuff that goes into making a real quality product.

Not the best pic but was in a hurry. Coppa/Capicola and Lonzino finally finished along with some guanciale which I'll be making some Bucatini all'Amatriciana with soon. Now my chamber is empty. Might try a sopressata next. Anyone got a good recipe?

F4egxnXBU2EyrMX0vFaJ2DCFbBAEEekvRKfXNXB63gAmWZpMu1hsZ8PVHqZAuNxA0AQVqRBi3Ed9Qxqdligty4QGWIfCn_oKLoIBfQDkHNzfhwObtDUv4KWS5DN0rcAFuB6GV6Yj87srdlA3pqmMOvIm9Ig2mJPvcW482Uj9KUZRc_pBBFAtoof1984ZzLF4HhTjXUrwcZM6bDh7-NmcIfvo4sV-DIeIr51Qz_y4-omjUKvNcVSAheLGwQ6vgoJ-8AkjAg7PUIJfDIO6QKScqMktB4Crd-sVfdefLOiyu7CTPEZI2xt-G2vS6ezgJcSmCx0jIlS_lzS5prgCNwsdmE45sYZiAqWAQhfUKQ7rMSiRpzRc58RLScy_S4InPl0b4SxqA5x5s5CWzSB3D-I1iGeLVS-QRezIfWOwzycQb1Ri9o8gDkH_LuoJ4k8UZN8ow0NDGKuUCUqKrLB8vK9lvWrfywDXueZqRgeJicv9UMf9hHcH9JVrqNVbo7pz-pG5v4rQlCADS6XwiWuTKdrcNV5fXKyH8a3jr-bdq3DEEUSUFfpzOmhR94QdsOYjk8HkMwGjMQT7T00HEIcr9ubG1eTEq0QIFT5y=w1539-h1028-no

My lovely wife for my birthday got me Charcuterie by Ruhlman (along with a bunch of charcuterie made in house and a Berkshire belly from our local butcher). I will be reading this over the next couple weeks and then get to playing with stuff! If I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right, I want to get a decent frost free freezer and found a line on a cheap one on CL. Would interior dimensions of 33" high, 21 1/2" width, 21" deep be big enough for me to get started with to make a chamber? If not, what would be recommended dimensions?

I got that book last christmas. It was a great read and I really need to try this out. We love charcuterie boards for grazing during holidays and when friends come over. Also do it as our dinner every once in a while.

I got that book last christmas. It was a great read and I really need to try this out. We love charcuterie boards for grazing during holidays and when friends come over. Also do it as our dinner every once in a while.

Ren, we are the exact same, we love Charcuterie boards! They go great at breweries, vineyards, having friends over, or for dinner with just she and I! I now can't wait to make up another one! If you're ever in Richmond you need to go by Belmont Butchery, it is amazingly good stuff!

(we should get everyone in the area together some time, I think we would get along pretty well!)

Ren, we are the exact same, we love Charcuterie boards! They go great at breweries, vineyards, having friends over, or for dinner with just she and I! I now can't wait to make up another one! If you're ever in Richmond you need to go by Belmont Butchery, it is amazingly good stuff!

(we should get everyone in the area together some time, I think we would get along pretty well!)

Absolutely!! I'll keep that Belmont Butchery in mind. What part of Richmond is it in?

And we should definitely get together some time. Sucks that I got too busy at work to coordinate the Mid Atlantic Bash. Hopefully it slows down soon so I can try to organize something (or someone else organizes it!)

Health check night.

Just under 3 months in the chamber.......decided it was time to apply the sugna......strutto.......whatever you want to call it. Lard and rice flour mixture.

Now back to the waiting game. Going to try to give it at least a year from now.

Just a squeeze. there was only a slight give, so probably 38-40%ish. I really should start weighing again, but it seems like I always do 20lbs at a time and its just so much work..

Texture is really nice. Hanging time was 2 months at 75% RH, and the case hardening is pretty much non existent.

Yeah, weighing gets to be a pain. I like to do it just to see if my squeeze is properly calibrated. :mrgreen:

I have gotten to where I might hang 5 salamis of similar size and just weigh one.

Back