Charcoal score!

And a meat bonus while coal shopping. Peeps- you a bad influence

Last edited:
Were all the smoking chunks on sale? Mine only had cherry last night but I got a few bags of ro lump on sale.

Found a hidden bin behind a forklift with cherry and apple not marked but rung up correct. Only thing on shelf was hickory and mesquite

Found a hidden bin behind a forklift with cherry and apple not marked but rung up correct. Only thing on shelf was hickory and mesquite

Tried but apple chunks rang up at regular price. Got 3 more bags of ro lump so it wasn't a wasted trip.

I really like them. I get the most consistent heat and cleanest some with them. And I've had no problem reusing them. On a six or eight hour cook about half of the briqs look like new. They don't give of a lot of smoke flavor so you're more reliant on the wood chunks that you add, but I'm fine with that. And they say the ash is good for your yard or garden. I'm not positive if it's helped, but it's worth trying.

Coshell update

Ok, so I cooked a pork roast indirect last week using the Coshell. I was pretty happy with the way the pork turned out.

Of course, being a cheap bastidge and always reusing my charcoal, I needed to relight used briqs to see how they held up after being used.

The Coshell briqs, IMO, held up better than RO briqs. They were still solid, didn't crumble, and were hardly used, even after an hour + cook. I didn't think there was a lot of ash either.

Color me impressed.

You guys have got it good. We only get charcoal for a few months starting from Easter. It's usuallu rubbish big store own branded stuff. Just don't get the variety here. With all the pit makers, plenty of rubs n seasonings,mega cheap meat and variety of woods and charcoal and my love of fire n smoke cooked food looking like I m gonna have to move over, now where's the best place to live. A place in th country but nothing too far from civilisation would be ideal

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/weber-accessories/charcoal-and-wood

Thanks to this posting and others I went to a Lowes in Ames Iowa on Friday. 2 hours away but was in area for other things. They had Coshesll charcoal on clearance as well there for $3.20 an 18 pound bag.

I bought 3 bags just to try and I gave it a run yesterday doing chicken, ribs and just to burn to see how long. I cook at 280* on my WSM according to my Guru and it was 24* when I started and got up to 31* outside. And a little wind. But the WSM was protected from 3 angles

It seemed to start just like Stubbs, wasnt too hard but not as easy as lump in my chimney. Took exactly 1 hour to get to temp once I added chimney to my unlit in bullet. I got 6 1/2 hours good solid burn at 280* though I did notice about 3 hours through my temps starting to drop so I had to kinda give the cook a couple of taps with my foot to break away the ash from the briquettes. Not much smoke. After 6 1/2 hours I could no longer hold 280* even with guru and vents open because it had burnt down to just little nuggets and ash. So I took the upper levels of my WSM off and just let the remaining coals burn. After it was out I put the ash in my ash bucket and there was a lot of ash, but it was a clean ash. With KBB or even lump my ash seems to have little chunks or bits even after charcoal is out. This was just ash.

There is a hardware store(Menards) 45 minutes away from me that has charcoal for sale for 5.87 for 18 pound bag. So I dont know if it is worth it for me to drive 2 hours to get this at $3.20 but if I had a Lowes closer to me I absolutely would get more, no hesitation on my part.

When I search the lowes site it says "This item is no longer available on Lowes.com." even tried different zip codes, same thing.

Nevermind, just found it, I was searching for single bags.

6 pack item # is 537156

Lowes

Just got 240lbs for $40! Thanks for the heads up guys!

Back