Gravity fed smoker

smokie mt.

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Ernie
New to using a Gravity fed smoker this is a used smoker and after the first cook I shut it down closing the intake and exhaust but the next morning when I opened it up it had a white look to it charcoal chute the same, thinking it's from the fire being snuffed out but not sure can't think of it being anything else.

Using B&B Lump

Deep South GC 28

Don’t shut down a gravity feed. Burn it down to nothing and start over. Also, I’d try some B&B Briquettes. I’m a lump fan but gravity feed seems to work better with briquettes.

I saw that early on with my Masterbuilt 560. There was a white coating inside the chute. I attributed it to using wood chunks with high moisture content. But I really don't know and it never happened again.

Don’t shut down a gravity feed. Burn it down to nothing and start over. Also, I’d try some B&B Briquettes. I’m a lump fan but gravity feed seems to work better with briquettes.
Same here. I always let my Limo Jr. burn down to nothing, and I've got a hard shiny black carbon coating in the chute.

The Limo Jr. has a non-tapered 6in sq tube chute, and you would have to carefully sort lump to get that to work without bridging. My last few cooks have been Jealous Devil XL briquettes. I've used briquette sized hickory chunks mixed in successfully before, so briquette sized lump would probably work. Maybe. But a lot of trouble.

My understanding is that the tapered chute on the Assassin's will tolerate lump a lot better, but I have no personal experience.

I owned my mbgf 560 for over 5 years. I don't burn an entire chute for no reason lol. Stop over thinking stuff. I use what I use then put the slides in and choke it out. Might throw some flat rope gaskets and high temp sealer to glue em on the fireboxes but i wouldn't freak out. Just cook on it bro

Here's the chute on my MB560. I was using B&B Char Logs and pecan chunks. Happened this one time and never again. It was a long brisket cook, about 10 hours

y80QnK5.jpg

Assassin 24 owner here. I snuff the fire out every cook and I've never worried about what the inside of of my coal chute looks like.

I just cook, eat, and enjoy. :-D

Back